Moving soon... quick question about Dish subscription

Devil24

Proud Supporter of SatelliteGuys.US
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2005
Houston, TX
Hey guys! thanks in advance for your replies :).

I'll be moving soon to a new house (my first one!!!)... most likely by the end of the summer. Now, I've been an E* sub for the past 3 yrs or so, with the account always being under my name.

Is there a way for me to cancel my current account and then get a new one later on, also under my name, but with a different address and phone number (new ones, of course) and a different credit card? Do you think it'll work?

I'm asking because I've been really trying to get a leased 942, but all my attempts have been unsuccesfull until now and unless my latest email to ceo@echostar.com brings me good news, I think I'll be out of options (I don't want to drop the $700 without knowing for sure if E* will upgrade it for free when MPEG4 hits us).

Doubtfull, they do a credit check on you and require a SSN now. They will be able to see that you were a subscriber.

Congrats on the new house. Its exciting!

if I am correct, and scott or any other MOD can correct me, it takes a year to become a "new Subscriber" (at least for me it did). I think to play it safe though, you better not try any loopholes, and just stick with maybe dish movers, because you dont want to pay start up and installation fees. the only other option is if you are married, maybe stick it under the spouses name, then you would get a new customer credit

Scott, that's the thing.

When I first got my E* sub, they didn't require one and of course never asked for it (which was a good thing for me, since I didn't get my SSN until 30 days after my arrival to the US as an international grad student back then... and dude, 30 days without TV would've been a terrible experience for me ;)).

Hmmm, OK.

Stuart, I don't care about payiong for start up/installation fees. I'm fine with those. I just want to get a leased 942 and since I'll be moving soon, I thought the whole 'new account' thing was going to be a possibility, but based on what Scott just told me, it looks like that's not an option.

I guess I just have to wait now for the reply from ceo@echostar.com. I should be hearing from them real soon.

sorry, I also meant to put in there, that if they see that you were with them before they might make you pay for the 942, instead of leasing it. If it were me I would just keep trying to see if you can lease it now, I mean I have heard of people doing it, and I know it might be annoying but, its safe, thats me though, I hope other people chime in and tell you what they would do, or help out if they have info or know of something that could help you out.

The H, let us know how your email turns out, I am hoping that Dish relaxes a little on the new customer rule. if I had a extra 250 laying around I would have the 942 at my house for my install sat. but I am running a tight line right now. I am thinking late this year (when all my home improvment projects are done) I will look into again, and hope at that time they say anyone can lease the 942

Dave nye, thanks for the tip.

That sounds good, especially since I have DSL+basic phone service with SBC (and I intend to keep it in my new place).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)