"Moving" to a town in the same county to change RSNs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CT Direct TV

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
question

The RSNs of my zip and another zip in my same county are a little different and I would like to "move" so i can switch them.

Now, what is the process of doing this? Does my service address have to be an actual address with a real phone number (id like to just make a false address, i dont know anyone in that town)? could i just use my billing address phone number? do i have to disconnect my phone line? can i get easily caught?

i've done searches but cant really find what i want.

Just change the service address keeping the billing what is current. Phone won't be a problem. Make sure your address is false as you don't want someone with the actual address to have problems in the future getting hooked up and you getting in possible hot water.

I can make a false address and they won't know? fake street and everything?

What do I put for a service phone #?

Also, do i HAVE to call for this? Can i just fix it online my self? i'm guessing no..

and what about my phone line thing.. i currently have both boxes connected to a phone line, im guessing i have to yank those.

I don't want to get caught either, i mean it seems people do it easily, but isnt it considered "theft of singal"?

I would like to make this switch tomorrow, so anyone with any info please respond :)

Ok. from searching I have found that you have to use a "real, but non-exististant" address.

for example there is a 2020 smith street and a 2022 smith street, but there is no "2021" but it would still qualify as a real address.

Anyone got any info on how i can come up with one of these things...

Well, i've got the address that i'm going to use, my only questions that remain are: theres a few...

1)Keep my boxes connected to phone line or no? 2)Can I call from the number of my current billing address? What do i use for a new phone number?, dont have a cell. do they call this number to confirm? 3)How long does it take for my channel list to be updated? 4)If caught, what could happen.. 5)What happens if i need a service call

One last bump before bed. Sorry for the urgency, but as I said I would like to get this done, its on my mind.

I also should mention that I've only had D-TV for 2 or so weeks, and D-TV itself gave me the dish and installed it themselves, not sure if that would be a problem.

Use the same phone #. D* doesn't check to make sure the phone # belongs to that address.

The only time there might be an issue would be if you order equipment that is going to be installed by D* or if you need a service call. It would look suspicious sending a tech to the billing address and not the service address. That is how most people get caught. Also when people get caught the address is just corrected.

CT Direct TV said:
The RSNs of my zip and another zip in my same county are a little different and I would like to "move" so i can switch them.

Now, what is the process of doing this? Does my service address have to be an actual address with a real phone number (id like to just make a false address, i dont know anyone in that town)? could i just use my billing address phone number? do i have to disconnect my phone line? can i get easily caught?

i've done searches but cant really find what i want.

you need a semi legit address....if you can drive by your new "home", abandoned buildings work great :)
The address needs to be verified by usps standards
Phone number can stay the same and you can leave it plugged in

I'm assuming the other zip code gives you another RSN included in your package?

Iceberg said:
you need a semi legit address....if you can drive by your new "home", abandoned buildings work great :)
The address needs to be verified by usps standards
Phone number can stay the same and you can leave it plugged in

I'm assuming the other zip code gives you another RSN included in your package?

I'm in but I'm going to "move" to I can really use the same #? the area code is different.

Its weird. I'm in which is strictly OUT out of the market, yet I get it as my local RSN.

Now, the building I plan to use, does exsist. Its a 6 floor building with apt # A-P. I plan to use the address, with Apt # 5R or something. That itself doesnt exsist, but the address of the building does.

Iceberg said:
That should work fine :)

Thanks. I editted my post so you didnt see my next question... I am "moving" to rather than just staying . Using the same Phone # is still ok?

Also: How long will it take to have my box updated for the new location?

I did it to get pittsburgh locals and it takes about 5-10 minutes to get the new channels. I switched back to get my hd-tivo and ota antenna installed tomorrow but sunday or monday i will call and "move" over the border again to get the pittsburgh locals again.

One more, I promise!

When I call should all my boxes be completly disconnected?

what do you mean disconnected? Leave em on or turn em off but dont unplug the boxes because when they send the "hit" it wont work right

Phone number doesnt matter...just keep it as the one on your account :)

Iceberg said:
what do you mean disconnected? Leave em on or turn em off but dont unplug the boxes because when they send the "hit" it wont work right

Phone number doesnt matter...just keep it as the one on your account :)

I meant boxes unplugged, I didn't know.

I'm guessing I'll have to reset my reciver to update it, or?

nope. When they send the "hit" everything will be fine

The RSN will change to whatever you qualify for
Blackouts will follow your new zip :)

Also, what do I do when DirecTV needs to send me something? Don't they re-issue the smartcard things all the time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)