Moving What's the Best Overall Option???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adam61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I have been with DirecTV/AT&T continuously for 10 years. I am usually able to get a $35 or $50 monthly credit when I call in annually after my bill skyrockets. (No missed payments, 4 room DVR, Entertainment ALL package and HBO). I'm looking at 3 options when I move, which is likely to be the most advantageous?...

1) I'm moving into an area with a more up to date cable company, and they offer a nice package with 1.2Gb Internet as well that I am considering if DirecTV doesn't come up similar.

2) DirecTV's movers package. This seems easy enough, they said I would be offered some promos, free Premiums likely, Monthly discount, and all new equipment, but regardless I would need to sign a new 2 year agreement. This seems strange if I don't opt for new equipment. The Dish (the correct one) and LNB are already in place at the new residence, as well as the coax drops, it's simply plug and play. Is the new equipment worth it? I currently have an HR44 2 HR24s and an H24. Sounded like since I Had a 4K TV they would give me an HR54 and 3 C61s, correct? Is this a better setup?

3) Is there a hard stop from just having my wife setup service (new address, new phone, new name) as a new customer and getting their current new customer deals which also include big monthly discounts and the 4 room DVR free?

Just want to plan out what might be the best course of action as it looks like AT&T is going to want a new 2 year whether it's option 2 or 3. Does a new customer get better deals usually or a 10 year 5 star customer?

Unless you have a 4k tv, I would stay with the equipment you have. The new location may not be plug and play, no telling for certain if the previous owner did something different with the cabling. It's likely okay though. You may well be better off going with your wife's name on the account in order to get the new customer deals. The better deal is dependent on several factors so you would need to ask Directv about that.

Remember .... IF you go with your Wife' name and start a new account, your STILL looking at a 2 year commitment.

Personally, I'd take my stuff over and plug it in and see if it works correctly ... if so your good to go ... call in and tell them you moved and have everything set up you just want to change the address and see if they have any deals for you. This way you avoid the commitment.

If it were me I'd just keep what I had and let a technician hook everything up on a "move" ticket.
No renewed commitment and just continuing your original package leaves your options open should the cable company prove to have a more attractive offer,
plus you'll still have the option to negotiate a better deal with DTV from a stronger position of "What can you do for me to keep me ?"

The only issue with option 2 from 2 posts above is even if I demand to keep my equipment they require a tech to come ensure it’s the proper dish and LNB do any drops (none are necessary) , they also said I could upgrade to the HR54 and C61s for free at this time as well. Even if I didn’t the on site tech and move ticket would generate a 2 year agreement, even with same dish, LNB, no wiring, and no new receivers. I do have 2 4K TVs also, but not sure if there’s enough content to make it a worthwhile shift. It also would still leave open the new customer option. Since they won’t tell me what type of retention deals are offered with the move package. They acted like there would be some but the main offer was all new equipment with the move.

Are the C61s still that much poorer than the decade old HR24s?

The only issue with option 2 from 2 posts above is even if I demand to keep my equipment they require a tech to come ensure it’s the proper dish and LNB do any drops (none are necessary) , they also said I could upgrade to the HR54 and C61s for free at this time as well. Even if I didn’t the on site tech and move ticket would generate a 2 year agreement, even with same dish, LNB, no wiring, and no new receivers. I do have 2 4K TVs also, but not sure if there’s enough content to make it a worthwhile shift. It also would still leave open the new customer option. Since they won’t tell me what type of retention deals are offered with the move package. They acted like there would be some but the main offer was all new equipment with the move.

Are the C61s still that much poorer than the decade old HR24s?
The thing about the C61(K) I'm guessing your talking about. K for the 4K stuff.
The clients have no independent tuner in them, they share with the Genie your connected too.
Therefore your losing tuners if you do away with the HR24s.

I'd still just move my own stuff and call to change the address and thats it, this would leave all your future options open.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)