Moving...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bpasker28

Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
So I'm moving from my apt to a rented home at the end of the month. I mentioned to my new landlord that I am thinking of getting satellite to make sure she has no problems with putting a dish on the house. She has none and offers a suggestion to me...

If we paint the outside of the house, she will give me two Direct TV receivers for free! Wow, what a great deal I think. The house isn't very big and that could save me a few hundred bucks on receivers as I want two HD DVR boxes. Well it doesn't play out this way because anything too good to be true is just that.

She goes on to say that she runs her own interior design business out of her home on top of renting homes and her assistant was in charge of setting up Direct TV for her a while back. The assistant screwed up and set up a commercial account instead of a residential account, and when she went to order PPV the boxes wouldn't let her. She called Dtv and they told her it was because she was set up as commercial and she would have to place a residential order instead. So she did and was then "stuck" with three commerical receivers.

First off, is any of the PPV claims true there?

She then goes on to tell me that if I call and order one receiver I'll then be able to plug these other two boxes in on my residential account because her neighbor did the same thing. Huh? :confused:

Can someone please confirm my thinking that a commercial box will not work in a residential set up regardless of if I plug them in myself or not?

BTW, I'm still playing the game for now. She said she dropped the boxes off at the house today so I'm going to go check them out. I'll post model numbers when I get back.

More than likely she has SD commercial receivers. D* won't charge you anything except a monthly fee for SD receivers so I guess you won't be a painter.

Something too fishy there. If it was a comercial account setup in error that should be personal they would cancel it and then activate a personal account.

Almost sounsl ike some form of account stacking.

You're best to stay away and get your own service.

interesting, thanks for the posts. I stopped by and there were two receivers on the counter top. It was a H21-200 receiver. I also noticed the box had that "this equipment is leased" sticker on it.

Here is my next question. If I order two HD DVR's when I order (which by the looks of another thread they should be free now) can I call Dtv and have them send me a SD receiver after my install? What will that cost me besides S&H or do to my contract?

Last edited:
interesting, thanks for the posts. I stopped by and there were two receivers on the counter top. It was a H21-200 receiver. I also noticed the box had that "this equipment is leased" sticker on it.

Here is my next question. If I order two HD DVR's when I order (which by the looks of another thread they should be free now) can I call Dtv and have them send me a SD receiver after my install? What will that cost me besides S&H or do to my contract?

A SD receiver adds 18 months to your contract, and I believe D* is charging $49 for them, depending upon how soon after your install you order it (longer is better). Why not add the SD receiver now, that way you get the multiswitch that will be required for free of charge?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)