MP4 OTA Testing

larrykenney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
San Francisco, CA
KQEH, one of our PBS stations in San Jose, CA, has added a new sub-channel that's transmitting a beautiful HD picture in H.264 MPEG-4 on channel 50.6. It has no audio though and is only there for testing, but it looks terrific.

Only TV sets that have the special circuits for Internet TV are able to decode the channel. Out of four TVs in the house, only my new one will decode the H.264.

Here's info on H.264 from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

I would like to know more about which TVs can receive these H.264 broadcasts. I wonder, is there a list of TVs? Or a list of features a TV must have in order to receive H.264 over the air? If this is becoming fairly common, I could see it really working well. Or, create another generation of cheap set top boxes that can decode the H.264 video and output over an HDMI or component.

Hmm, interesting. This is the first I've heard of a US OTA broadcast using H.264. I read on the Wikipedia link above that it was added to the ATSC standard back in 2008 -- has the ability to decode such broadcasts been built into many (or any) TV tuners since then? How is the original poster able to tune to this station (KQEH 50.6)?

While H.264 is the current de facto standard for HD streaming over the internet (used by Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Showtime, etc.), I don't see it taking off for OTA broadcasting as the industry is already looking toward ATSC 3.0 which will allow Ultra HD OTA broadcasts. ATSC 3.0 will likely be based on the newer H.265 codec (HEVC). Here's an article I recently read about current testing for the new standard:
http://www.tvtechnology.com/broadca...-futurecasts-atsc-30-transmission-test/276567

Kinda reminds me of the reason Birdview went out of business (BITD). Attempting to get by, by ignoring the standard adopted by all others. And when they did, it was too late.

Even though MPEG4 was adapted as part of the ATSC standard, I doubt many TV sets have tuners to decode it. Kind of like how TV sets were practically all VHF only tuners until after the "All Channel Receiver Act of 1964" which mandated all TV sets sold must have a UHF tuner. Just because it is a standard or part of one doesn't mean the manufacturer is mandated to include it or does include it.

I've been away on vacation for two weeks, so that's why I haven't commented. As for what sets will display the H264 signal, it's those that have the capability to view video feeds over the internet. If it's a "Smart TV" you should be able to view H264.

By the way, the San Jose station is still sending out sub-channel 50.6, but there is no picture or sound now... just a black screen.

I have been doing h.264 for over a year in the Midwest. Using 12 transmitters combo of hd and sd. Getting about 42 channels packed into it. Best part is, it's encrypted so we can offer premium channels. Espn, usa, discovery ect. We use a stb.

Reactions: Trip and jegrant
Ion has been using H.264 for their Airbox service for about four years now. At present, Ion puts out 10 movie channels and a barker channel, all encrypted, in addition to their four unencrypted channels. TSReader picks them up, and VLC media player can decode them if unencrypted. For awhile, when the Airbox service first launched here in Phoenix, the barker channel and a few of the previous programming options were being broadcast unencrypted. I was able to pick them up on my laptop via TSReader and VLC, and they looked pretty good. Those were all SD; I don't know if the movie channels are HD or SD.

I have been doing h.264 for over a year in the Midwest. Using 12 transmitters combo of hd and sd. Getting about 42 channels packed into it. Best part is, it's encrypted so we can offer premium channels. Espn, usa, discovery ect. We use a stb.

I'd love to hear more about your system. Do you have a website? Or a brochure?

Reactions: cpalmer2k and Trip

Same for me, I'd also love to see a website or PDF brochure.

- Trip

Reactions: jegrant
I've been away on vacation for two weeks, so that's why I haven't commented. As for what sets will display the H264 signal, it's those that have the capability to view video feeds over the internet. If it's a "Smart TV" you should be able to view H264.

By the way, the San Jose station is still sending out sub-channel 50.6, but there is no picture or sound now... just a black screen.
I just rescanned klfy 10.4 is the same as your 50.6

Looks like ION TVs digital plan. Why should I pay a subscription fee for channels I currently receive for free?
because where that place is located they are too far from most of the stations. Running a generic tvfool you would get PBS and ABC...thats it

because where that place is located they are too far from most of the stations. Running a generic tvfool you would get PBS and ABC...thats it
The question also applies to ION. ION is not in distant locations they are shooting for major metropolitan areas where OTA reception is mandatory to receive the service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)