MPEG-4 and Big 5-LNB Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
As D* rolls out the 5-LNB dish to get HD locals, it made me wonder if this new dish will be used for awhile or if it won't be embraced by customers.

Some thoughts...

--Will the 32 lb. monster dish be the only dish they install or will they eventually get something more streamlined?

--If MPEG-4 becomes the standard and everyone has to upgrade (eventually), will these large dishes and the recommended pole mounts lead to customers leaving D*?

--What are the odds of D* not using 110 and 119, thus allowing for a smaller dish aimed only at 99/101/103?

--It just seems that as more and more people move to HD and those with HD move to get their locals via the dish, that the dish itself will HAVE to be smaller, at least at some point.

Proc,

As I recall, the 72.5 location was a temporary approval from the FCC while they rolled out locals. If I had to peer into the crystal ball, I would guess they would eliminate the two oddball locations first before they got rid of 119 and 110.

But then, I'm just peering into smoke... :)

Cheers,
Tom

Proc said:
As D* rolls out the 5-LNB dish to get HD locals, it made me wonder if this new dish will be used for awhile or if it won't be embraced by customers.
Some thoughts...
--Will the 32 lb. monster dish be the only dish they install or will they eventually get something more streamlined?
--If MPEG-4 becomes the standard and everyone has to upgrade (eventually), will these large dishes and the recommended pole mounts lead to customers leaving D*?
--What are the odds of D* not using 110 and 119, thus allowing for a smaller dish aimed only at 99/101/103?
--It just seems that as more and more people move to HD and those with HD move to get their locals via the dish, that the dish itself will HAVE to be smaller, at least at some point.

You bring up a good point, one that I've been thinking about for awhile.

In my opinion, one of the reasons for D*'s tremendous growth has been their perception of what's important to customers. Even though it may have compromised quality, even precluded some less popular international channels, their embrace of the SINGLE DISH made it EASIER for people to go with them than with E*. Having the bulk of their programming on dishes that were accessible via a single, easily managed dish pushed people to use them rather than other providers, even if the variety or quality was better. It was just easier to avoid the hassle.

With this monster even I'M wishing that I could go back to cable. I LOVE the channels D* offers and I'm not bothered by the lack of HD movies. But I don't even know if they'll be able to install it: the only HA-approved site is my brick chimney and even if a vertical mount like that is possible my neighbor is hogging most of the chimney with two E* dishes.

I just want to have the least hassle, and I would have already gone to Cablevision (Long Island, NY) if they weren't SO backward in the channels they offer. All they would need to get me would be BBC America and DiscoveryHD; I could manage without RFD, FineLiving and Setanta.

I really do wonder how many people are going to want to go through the pain of having this rather large device mounted; as well, it remains to be seen if it is more sensitive to rain fade, etc.

=NLK=

It would all depend on the materials used, and their density, but here are examples.

AT9: 25.5" x 29.5" = 752.25 sqin, 32lbs

SD121 (as listed @ RS): 20" x 36" = 720.00 sqin surface, no weight listed

GainMaster: 35.3" x 26.2" = 924.86 sqin, 31lbs

charper1 said:
It would all depend on the materials used, and their density, but here are examples.

AT9: 25.5" x 29.5" = 752.25 sqin, 32lbs

SD121 (as listed @ RS): 20" x 36" = 720.00 sqin surface, no weight listed

GainMaster: 35.3" x 26.2" = 924.86 sqin, 31lbs

Gotcha, !!!!:)

Q. Is the Gainmaster available anywhere for the 5 LNB set up ?

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Gotcha, !!!!:)

Q. Is the Gainmaster available anywhere for the 5 LNB set up ?

Jimbo

I had the 3-LNB GainMaster and switched to the AT9 5-sat Ka/Ku. They are similar in size, and both use a 2" mast. The az/el adjustment verniers on the AT9 make it WAY easier to set up. Also the AT9 adjusts the 101-to-119 spacing as a function of location (in 3 zones) which makes for essentially perfect aim on all the satellites, not so on the GainMaster. Go for the AT9.

Proc said:
Some thoughts...

It does seem to be getting ridiculous. I tried to upgrade to the HD Tivo and was unable due to inability to receive the 119 bird, so I'm certainly hoping that they consolidate their streams. I have friends who think the Phase III is a big deal, but I can't wait to see their reaction to the MP4 dish. With Tivo going to Comcast, I'm scared to think that this 9-year D* sub will be going back to cable...:confused:

A lot of markets and individuals are still using the 18 inch dish at 101 and has been for over 10 years. I see no mass conversion to the AT-9 dish, except for those markets with the new MPEG4 receiver for HD markets.

For most DirecTV users, and even beyond the OTA HD conversion, the 10 million or so installed base of current DirecTV receivers will continue to be functional, as well as teh current round and Phase III dish. The ATSC signal can easily be converted to the NTSC signal by the current DirecTV ird.

Eventually, as more and more customers acquire HD sets, the 99, 103 slots will actually migrate back to 101, 110 and 119. Using MPEG4, their capacity will actually increase. As this progresses, the current DirecTV receivers will be replaced, first for new customers, and later for old customers. Eventually, the MPEG4 conversion will be complete. This will probably take years.

IMHO, 99 an 103 won't be going anywhere. MPEG4 can do only so much, you'll still need raw bandwidth to put out all the channels that D* says they're going to be doing in HD for national and LIL, plus all the SD channels that will still be out there.

Is the dish big, yep compared to both the 101 only and phase III but for most folks I don't think it's going to be a show stopper. Once you get it up on the roof it will look smaller ;-). I'd prefer having just the single dish vs. a multiple dish solution, like folks that have a Dish 1000/Superdish and a 300 to 61.5 or 148.

Last edited:
If you look at the way the dish is set up and the location of the new sats, I bet they get rid of the 110 and 119 in the far future and keep 99, 101, and 103, because they are closer together and will require the use of only 1 big LNB. The way the new dish is set up it looks like the LNB's for 110 and 119 can be taken off, thus leaving the one big LNB in the middle making it look less ugly. :D

tibber said:
miller24,
That's outstanding. do you have a source, especially one that lists all the other dma's?
Happy Holidays,
Tom

Source: A couple local installers (not retailers)

I don't have a list, I just know when this area is slated to be up.

miller24 said:
Source: A couple local installers (not retailers)
I don't have a list, I just know when this area is slated to be up.
Fair enough, thanks. I may have to make some phone calls for my area. :)

Thanks again and Happy Holidays,
Tom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)