MPEG-4 Reception?

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
I just ordered the HD platium package.....the rep mentioned that the receiver was mpeg-4 capable....

I've heard of mpeg-4....not sure if it's better or not.....is this just a more compressed signal? Will the HD reception I ordered be better or worse than what I've been receiving?

kirkdj said:
I just ordered the HD platium package.....the rep mentioned that the receiver was mpeg-4 capable....

I've heard of mpeg-4....not sure if it's better or not.....is this just a more compressed signal? Will the HD reception I ordered be better or worse than what I've been receiving?
Mpeg4 is just a different format for compressing a video stream, which is suppose to save bandwidth, which it does. But Dish doesn't have any mpeg4 compressed signals, unless it is the new HD lil's which they are just getting up! The new HD channels, ESPN2,UNIHD and the 5 new Voom channels have mpeg4 Headers which only the new receivers can recognize, so no one really knows what the true mpeg4 compression looks like, but it is coming soon! Hope this helps!

I have an interesting question. With MPEG 4, there is more information stuck in a smaller bandwidth. (More correctly, it's really HD content crammed into the space a single SD channel takes up)

Will MPEG-4 be more seseptable to weather interference?

AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
I have an interesting question. With MPEG 4, there is more information stuck in a smaller bandwidth. (More correctly, it's really HD content crammed into the space a single SD channel takes up)

NO difference in rain fade - encoding has NOTHING to do with that.

AtHomeBoy_2000 said:

Well the MPEG-4 stations are encoded with 8PSK instead of QPSK that the standard definition stations are transmitted. Yes 8PSK can have more rain fade than QPSK at the same error correction rates, but Dish is not running them at the same error correction rates. In fact Dish has much more error correction on the 8PSK transponders, and is using turbo coding. There should actually be less rain fade on the HD than the STDef.

Dish does have the option of decreasing error correction on the 8PSK and could bring it closer to the QPSK, but they do not seem to be interested in doing it yet. Right now Dish transmits 2x the error correction on 8PSK. They could probably go down to 3/4 FEC from 2/3 (assume turbo coding) and be about the same as the 5/6 FEC that they use on QPSK.

mike123abc said:
Well the MPEG-4 stations are encoded with 8PSK instead of QPSK that the standard definition stations are transmitted. Yes 8PSK can have more rain fade than QPSK at the same error correction rates, but Dish is not running them at the same error correction rates. In fact Dish has much more error correction on the 8PSK transponders, and is using turbo coding. There should actually be less rain fade on the HD than the STDef.

Dish does have the option of decreasing error correction on the 8PSK and could bring it closer to the QPSK, but they do not seem to be interested in doing it yet. Right now Dish transmits 2x the error correction on 8PSK. They could probably go down to 3/4 FEC from 2/3 (assume turbo coding) and be about the same as the 5/6 FEC that they use on QPSK.
Ok, I have NO idea what any of that jiberish actuaky means. But 'll take your work for it that the recpetion shouuld be just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)