MPEG 4 - to go or not?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

trice9

Original poster
May 4, 2006
I need help in making a decision. Don't have HD yet, but eager to pull the trigger. Currently I have Directv, current TV needs to be replaced, so will be buying an HD TV. The way I see it, I have two options:

1) Get the HR10-250 receiver and use OTA antenna to get locals in HD. I live in DC suburbs and reception is good. Main benefit here is i get HD DVR and ability to watch 2 live shows at once. Any negatives? Sounds like this setup won't be obsolete for a while. And won't I be able to exchange this reveiver for MPEG 4 receiver in future?

or

2) Get the 5LNB dish and MPEG 4 receiver. What are the advantages here? Big disadvantes are no DVR (sounds like there is no good ETA for MPEG 4 HD DVR receiver) and can't watch 2 live shows.

Seems to me #1 is the way to go, but eager to see your thoughts. Thanks!

Get Dish. You will not be happy with D* HDlite and you will be locked into this hell for 2 years.

vurbano said:
Get Dish. You will not be happy with D* HDlite and you will be locked into this hell for 2 years.

Would rather not go to Dish. I like the NFL game package, and have a bunch of other tv's/directv receivers. Thanks for input though. Need to decide between the 2 options i listed, and want to know pros/cons.

Get your 10-250 from NewEgg and tell D* that you did so that it won't be a lease. That way you don't have that long commitment.

I agree with scotsmanron - the H20 is only adviseable at this point if OTA isn't an option...

scotsmanron said:
Get your 10-250 from NewEgg and tell D* that you did so that it won't be a lease. That way you don't have that long commitment.

OK, sorry for the ignorance, but help me understand this issue. None of my current receivers are leased and doesn't sound appealing. What's the deal with the lease? Can't I just buy the receiver out-right and own it? Sounds like maybe not, but NewEgg would help me get around that? How? Thanks!

vurbano said:
dish is worse imho, dish doesnt value their customers at all
go with dtv or cable
cable has some pretty aggressive pricing making it dirt cheap and a viable option for satellite users

scotsmanron said:

Huh,

What do you mean he won't have a commitment ?
The 1 or 2 years commitment is determined by the receiver he gets, this being a HD DVR makes it an advanced receiver and a 2 year commitment.

The commitment has nothing to do with "own or lease".

Generally speaking, if you purchased after March 1st 2006 it will be a Lease, prior to that it is a OWN situation.

Jimbo

Don't let the DISH/HDLite propaganda dissuade you. I have an H10-250. I had comcast for hD before getting the D* DVR. PQ on my plasma was almost identical between D and comcast channels - TNT, ESPN, etc. If I look REALLY close, I notice the downsampled picture -- or maybe I don't. The fact of the matter is most HD channels (HBO, TNT, ESPN, etc.) are broadcasting upconverted content most of the time. For most people, the PQ for HD is fantastic. Others nitpick.

My issue with the box is that the tivo software build is old and slow and D* has no plans to update it. If you are a DVR and NFL ST sub and can get OTA, it's really the only option at this time.

The lease fee is a pain, but you get that with Dish as well. For me, switching between an HD box and an SD Tivo was a pain. The cost of getting HD is a fact of life.

Bottom line is Directv went to a lease program in March, if you get the HR10-250 through them, you have to pay a few hundred up front for it and it will be considered leased and you have to return the hardware if you ever cancel. If you buy it outright somewhere else it's yours to keep and resell or whatever you want to do with it. There is no additional monthy cost for leasing, the mirror fee you pay now has become the lease fee for any leased equipment you have.

hancox said:
I agree with scotsmanron - the H20 is only adviseable at this point if OTA isn't an option...
I thought with the H20 you can get HD locals [if available in your area] all the time
as compared to OTA locals only the shows in HD are shown in HD and the rest is SD PQ, isn't this correct?

Dash8 said:
I thought with the H20 you can get HD locals [if available in your area] all the time
as compared to OTA locals only the shows in HD are shown in HD and the rest is SD PQ, isn't this correct?
Dash8 - Did you ever get straightened out on this? You sound confused. With the H20 you can get your HD locals through DirecTV. However if you can get decent reception, you can see your HD locals directly from the station over your antenna (OTA). Whether your local stations show programming in HD is up to them. But it's not dependant on how the signal gets to you. Whether you get your HD locals from DirecTV or OTA, they'll show the same content.

What they were trying to say is that if you can get your HD locals OTA, you're generally better off because DirecTV will compress the signal somewhat and the picture may not look as good. So the only reason to get an H20 right now is because you can't (or don't want to) get your HD locals OTA.

-JustBob

I have to correct, confirm or comment on a few points.

1. strong rumors (supposedly connected moderators in other forums) say there will be an update to HDtivo..but this is not a reason to by this box...i agree..just pointing it out

2. Last month i bought a 399 newegg receiver and added it as owned. You can't get around the 2 year commitment so dont bother trying. and it takes a few emails to get them to make it owned but it can be done. Be persistent

3. as i dont have the HD package, i cant comment, but if you dont watch those handful of channels, the point is moot. If you watch, then you'd have to rely on the other comments to see about PQ

4 or actually..i 'think' directv has a 30 day trial now...so you dont lose anything and can gain some new wiring in the process even if you cancel!

5. if you get good OTA, the HDtivo will be wonderful for years to come. What are your viewing habits? 95% of my HD viewing is off OTA. HBO and SHO are just extras for me. So my boxes will be good for a VERY long time.

6. SD will NOT be going mpeg4 for a very very long time. So if you only want the box for SD and OTA HD, you are set for many years. I get tired of people blabbing about the impending shut off of mpeg4. While it affects a lot of people, it will NOT affect people like me that dont care about the HD pak. Also note, until the mpeg2 shut off, all new national HD channels will work on the HDtivo in mpeg2.

7, if you decide you do want to trade in the box for the mpeg4 dvr, i'd bet it's going to be at a reduced price.

There's a few comments. Since everyone's situation is different, just put on your filter and take in what you need, discard what you dont believe or doesn't apply

newsposter said:
I have to correct, confirm or comment on a few points.

1. strong rumors (supposedly connected moderators in other forums) say there will be an update to HDtivo..but this is not a reason to by this box...i agree..just pointing it out

What type of update to the HR10-250?

Upgrade Lately? said:
What type of update to the HR10-250?

The long-running rumor that it will get version 6.x of the Tivo software. Personally, I don't see it happening, but this thing has been rehashed and rehashed like crazy.

besides speed and folders, not sure anything else comes with the update. I never had folders so dont miss them..but speed ..i have the need for speed

folders would actually be more welcome for me. Too many wiggles/dora/bob the builder/little einsteins, etc :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts