MPEG-4 will initially be MPEG-2!

the receivers are fine the problem is the encoders.

At mpeg 2 they can do 3 channels per transponder. With MPEG4 the can only do 4 per transponder with the current encoders.

I think some folks are overreacting way too much. I have more to say but the just told us to turn off cell phones. (I am in San Diego now on a plane)

my advice is watch the chat tommorow. :)

Well, now we know why we're still only getting the 15 VOOM channels, not the 21. MPEG-4 isn't saving them any bandwidth.

If DISH is this un-organized now with MPEG4, why would anyone expect that in one day they will have answers to all of our concerns and questions? Sounds like a FEMA response. Give them a year to work it out!

Hokie are the new channels 8psk though? because if they aren't I could finnally see myself getting one of those PC DVB cards :D

rickaren said:
If DISH is this un-organized now with MPEG4, why would anyone expect that in one day they will have answers to all of our concerns and questions? Sounds like a FEMA response. Give them a year to work it out!

This has been the same scenario for a while now. the new channels aren't saving them any bandwitdth because they aren't using MPEG4 and MPEG4 wont be saving much bandwitdth either because they'll still be using dedicated transponders to hold MPEG4 because they don't get the idea of mixing SD with HD mpeg2 with mpeg4 for maximum transponder efficency. And finally we've beaten to death that the down rez to 1280 isn't doing anything because at the same time they've been able to run tnt and 2 movie channels all at 1920x1080i on a single transponders.

The stupidity is driving me insane. And when we go to CES we don't challenge dish on this but instead swallow their Bullsh!t

Scott Greczkowski said:
They didnt want to do it because they felt many HD customers would be pissed if they had channels for a few months and then they disapeared and required a new receiver to view them

I will let you in on a little secrect... (Keep this in the pub...)

When the channels launch they launch them they WILL be in MPEG2 however only MPEG4 receivers will see them as they will have MPEG4 headers.

The reason for this is MPEG4 is NOT ready for primetime, I actually got them to show me realy MPEG4 yesterday and the motion was jumpy and blocky
BFG, Watch what you are saying, he specifically said keep this here, and you are out there posting this in the dish network forum!!! be careful!

rickaren said:

For crying out loud guys. What's wrong with this picture? They told Scott (for the life of me I don't know why they'd reveal this) "the channels are going to be in MEPG2 but ONLY MEPG4 receivers will see them"!

I'm "overreacting" because I see this for what it is and it pisses me off big time? Every single one of you that paid something for an 811, 921 or 942, whether it be purchase or lease should be angry as hell that they're going to put up new channels, in a format that your receiver can use BUT restrict it to only the new receivers of which none of us have any idea what they'll cost us or when we'll have one.

Short of announcing tommorrow night that all 811, 921 & 942 owners / leasees will be guaranteed a new MPEG4 equivlent replacment for the cost of shipping and before any of the new programming becomes available, I don't know what Dish could do to patch this one up.

Sure, they have the upper hand right now but it's how they handle it that counts and so far it doesn't look good.

Now it all makes sense. D* seems to still be having some major issues with the mpeg-4 encoders as well. So we can still hold out hope for full rez once real mpeg-4 is launched.

Now I just hope the 622 comes out on or around 2/1/06 as D* wants me to commit to two years to get my hd-tivo (under warranty) repaired. They can go F* themselves.

Last edited:
waltinvt said:
For crying out loud guys. What's wrong with this picture? They told Scott (for the life of me I don't know why they'd reveal this) "the channels are going to be in MEPG2 but ONLY MEPG4 receivers will see them"!

I'm "overreacting" because I see this for what it is and it pisses me off big time? Every single one of you that paid something for an 811, 921 or 942, whether it be purchase or lease should be angry as hell that they're going to put up new channels, in a format that your receiver can use BUT restrict it to only the new receivers of which none of us have any idea what they'll cost us or when we'll have one.

Short of announcing tommorrow night that all 811, 921 & 942 owners / leasees will be guaranteed a new MPEG4 equivlent replacment for the cost of shipping and before any of the new programming becomes available, I don't know what Dish could do to patch this one up.

Sure, they have the upper hand right now but it's how they handle it that counts and so far it doesn't look good.
THANK YOU

As of right now I'm going to hold judgement until I see what happens in the chat. No reason to sound off until we know all of the facts. I'm sure once we get them, we will be just as confused.

vinnyv07 said:
As of right now I'm going to hold judgement until I see what happens in the chat. No reason to sound off until we know all of the facts. I'm sure once we get them, we will be just as confused.

And if we aren't, the CSRs will be for sure..... :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
The reason for this is MPEG4 is NOT ready for primetime, I actually got them to show me realy MPEG4 yesterday and the motion was jumpy and blocky.

Hahahahahaha!!! Sounds like the decoders aren't fast enough to decode but yet they are rolling out the MPEG4 IRD's. Seems like they will be backing off the compression ratio on the MPEG4 encoders to fix this. MPEG 2.5! ;)

juan said:
oh please fill me in:confused:
Not worth my time. If you would re-read Scotts post, Im sure even you could figure it out.

he didnt say ANYTHING about MPEG4 not rolling out until 2007.

Man oh man damned if you do, damned if you dont. Tell them something, bitch. Dont say anything bitch. New hardware, bitch. New format, bitch. No new channels, bitch. HDLite, bitch.

I get alot of the frustrations but everyone take a deep breadth and just wait to see what develops. The story does not sound complete. I understand there are a bunch of extroverts but lets just see what we get. I am excited by the new channels, new hardware, and future of Dish. Sure its not perfect but change is coming and I think good change.

StevenD said:
Not worth my time. If you would re-read Scotts post, Im sure even you could figure it out.
he didnt say ANYTHING about MPEG4 not rolling out until 2007.
He said mpeg 2 will be around till march 2007 and that mpeg 4 was not ready for prime time!! Now explain to me what I read wrong..He also said the new channels will really be mpeg2!!(mpeg 4 headers) Which means they probably wont switch to mpeg 4 till march 2007..Now do you see where I got march 2007???

Last edited:
juan said:
He said mpeg 2 will be around till march 2007 and that mpeg 4 was not ready for prime time!! Now explain to me what I read wrong..He also said the new channels will really be mpeg2!!(mpeg 4 headers) Which means they probably wont switch to mpeg 4 till march 2007..Now do you see where I got march 2007???
Thats because it will take until then to swap everyone out with new receivers. I'm sure they will start switching to mpeg-4 when they have everything working. Could be soon, could be later but I would put big money on it definitely being before March 2007.

I read it, that the new channels will go to MPEG-4 as soon as the problems are ironed out. The existing MPEG-2 HD channels will continue until March 2007 when they are eventually switched over to MPEG-4.

If only there was a way to make our older boxes see the fake mpeg4, but its too hacky-ish, bah!

Cyclone said:
I read it, that the new channels will go to MPEG-4 as soon as the problems are ironed out. The existing MPEG-2 HD channels will continue until March 2007 when they are eventually switched over to MPEG-4.

That is exactly how I read it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts