MPEG2 SD on a MPEG4 HD Receiver

Joe99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I am considering getting a 211k receiver.

At the moment all of my receivers are MPEG2 and I see 61.5, 110 and 119. I only have SD programming. I know that the 211k is HD, but I am interested in the DVR function that can be added.

Based on a channel chart that I have seen on this site(SatelliteGuys.US - Dish Network ALL), several stations in the MPEG4(SD) version are coming from 72.7;USA for example.

My question whether a 211k will look at the SD version on 61.5, 110 and119 or will it only look for MPEG4 transmissions?

Thank you for any assistance.

The 211K Allows you to View Both Mpeg2 SD and Mpeg4 SD. Its up to you and it also depends on what arc you should be setup for. Ether 110/119/129 is good, or 61.5//77. What ever you choose the box will work fine with. But remember if your other receivers are not Mpeg4 receivers then you can only have 110/119 for SD because their in mpeg2. The 77 is Mpeg 4, so there for only works with mpeg4 capable receivers. :cool:

I thank you both for you replies.

I will still have a 508 on my account.

As i understand it I do not have Eastern or Western, just a Dish 500 for 110/119 and a wing dish for 61.5. I do not really care if I get MPEG2 or MPEG4, as as long as I get all of the stations that I get now on my 721.

If I do get HD down the road, will my current setup work?

Thanks.

I thank you both for you replies.

I will still have a 508 on my account.

As i understand it I do not have Eastern or Western, just a Dish 500 for 110/119 and a wing dish for 61.5. I do not really care if I get MPEG2 or MPEG4, as as long as I get all of the stations that I get now on my 721.

If I do get HD down the road, will my current setup work?

Thanks.

You won't get HD with nonHD receivers. The 211k connected to an HDTV will be OK. All the national HD is on the combinations 110 and 129 or 110 and 61.5. I don't know about your HD locals. They could be on 61.5, 77, or 129, depending where you live, but probably on 61.5.

you have western arc, with an hd wing. you are already set up for hd, install a 211, and you will be watching hi-def.
there are several free hd stations, and if you subscribe to hbo or max, there will be hd channels there as well. so you dont have to order hd programming if you dont desire, but when you activate the receiver you may need to pay an hd enabling fee...not sure.
and...lots of people have 211's with no hd dish or programming. its a nice receiver, works fine with it all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)