This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

MPEG2 vs MPEG4 HD Equipment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejdowden

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Hi, This is the first time I have posted. I am a DirecTV customer and live in the Raleigh-Durham area.

For Christmas, I got my first HDTV and am using an OTA antenna to get my Raleigh-Durham locals. It is my understanding that in a few months DirecTV will roll out HD locals in my area in MPEG4. This does not interest me since I get my locals plus their multicasts OTA. I do want to get other HD channels like ESPNHD. Is there any reason I should wait to get the MPEG4 equipment or can I go ahead and get DirecTV HD MPEG2 equipment now? Originally I was going to wait for MPEG4 because I need to put up a new dish for MPEG2 HD and MPEG4 HD and was trying to avoid putting up dishes twice this year. Plus I am seeing great deals on the MPEG2 HD dishes and DVRs right now.

Since your locals work well, go for the HR10-250. You'll enjoy it a lot.

When and if D* has figured out and released MPEG4 DVR equipment to the public, then you can reconsider, and the upgrade path will not be so undefined.

H

Status
Please reply by conversation.