MPEG2 vs. MPEG4

Status
Please reply by conversation.
S

smaug07

SatelliteGuys Guru
Apr 3, 2007
I am under the impression that some HD channels on D* are in MPEG-2 format while the majority of them are in MPEG-4 format. Does anybody know which ones are still in MPEG-2? Recently, I have been watching the NBA playoffs on both TNT and ESPN and have noticed the HD quality to be sub-par on both channels. Are both of these channels, or either one, in MPEG-2 format? I watched the Celtics-Cavs game last night on my local RSN, Comcast Sports Net New England, in HD, and the quality was far superior to that of the ESPN broadcast.

rad

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
I am under the impression that some HD channels on D* are in MPEG-2 format while the majority of them are in MPEG-4 format. Does anybody know which ones are still in MPEG-2? Recently, I have been watching the NBA playoffs on both TNT and ESPN and have noticed the HD quality to be sub-par on both channels. Are both of these channels, or either one, in MPEG-2 format? I watched the Celtics-Cavs game last night on my local RSN, Comcast Sports Net New England, in HD, and the quality was far superior to that of the ESPN broadcast.

Channels 70-99, 206, 209, 501, 245, 259, 281, 501, 509, 537 and 543 are all still MPEG2.

scottie_h

scottie_h

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 22, 2004
Cologne, MN
I believe it's anything that has a channel from 70-99, including the duplicates of those same channels. Those are the channels that existed pre-MPEG-4, which are the only channels that work on the older HD equipment.

(same info rad gave, just different way to say it :D)

Status
Please reply by conversation.