MPEG2 vs. MPEG4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smaug07

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
I am under the impression that some HD channels on D* are in MPEG-2 format while the majority of them are in MPEG-4 format. Does anybody know which ones are still in MPEG-2? Recently, I have been watching the NBA playoffs on both TNT and ESPN and have noticed the HD quality to be sub-par on both channels. Are both of these channels, or either one, in MPEG-2 format? I watched the Celtics-Cavs game last night on my local RSN, Comcast Sports Net New England, in HD, and the quality was far superior to that of the ESPN broadcast.

I am under the impression that some HD channels on D* are in MPEG-2 format while the majority of them are in MPEG-4 format. Does anybody know which ones are still in MPEG-2? Recently, I have been watching the NBA playoffs on both TNT and ESPN and have noticed the HD quality to be sub-par on both channels. Are both of these channels, or either one, in MPEG-2 format? I watched the Celtics-Cavs game last night on my local RSN, Comcast Sports Net New England, in HD, and the quality was far superior to that of the ESPN broadcast.

Channels 70-99, 206, 209, 501, 245, 259, 281, 501, 509, 537 and 543 are all still MPEG2.

I believe it's anything that has a channel from 70-99, including the duplicates of those same channels. Those are the channels that existed pre-MPEG-4, which are the only channels that work on the older HD equipment.

(same info rad gave, just different way to say it :D)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)