MPEG2 Western Arc shutoff

DiSH has been rolling unsolicited upgrades since at least back when the SuperDish came out as their first expanded locals solution (and probably further back to DiSH 500). I found out when I would go to service my installed customers and they had this whole other larger dish on the roof that the customer neither had asked for nor which I would have endorsed for them. They didn't need the change of dish btw to keep from losing locals- they didn't have sat locals to begin with and were getting them offair. This was mainly a ploy to upsell them locals.

They basically had their systems forcibly altered, and without one peep back to me to allow my involvement in ongoing servicing.

As to the MP2 shutdown, will customers with owned rx's have them replaced with cx-owned rx's?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Now getting this thread back closer to the original topic…

I ran into a weird/funny bug. I haven’t taken the now obsolete 625 offline yet. My wife had a timer set for 209, MSNBC. When that MPEG2/SD channel disappeared, the receiver started recording channel 210, CSPAN, instead; the closest remaining MPEG2 channel. And original 209 timer has disappeared out of the timers list, but there is no timer showing for 210.

Oops, it’s confused. Good thing that receiver is going away.

For those of you enjoy the geeky side of thing when it comes to satellites :)

It looks like Dish has made some more major changes to the 119 satellite. 7 transponders that were originally ConUS transponders have been converted to spotbeams. I don't know at what date this occurred, but it happened within the past month.

Previously transponders 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 13 were all used as ConUS transponders. Now they are all spotbeams.

119 as of this moment has transponders 1-11 and 13 as spotbeam. 12, 14-21 are still ConUS.

In terms of the content on 119,

TP 12, 14, 17, 18, 20, 21 are all filled with HD channels
TP 15, 16, 19 are SD and/or music channels

I did not see any changes on the 110 satellite in terms of Spotbeams or ConUS.

Removing the SD versions of the locals along with converting those 7 transponders to spotbeams starts to answer the question on how they moved so much off of 129.

Oh, I totally get that. But when I have a customer who has been with us for 20+ years, and has never missed one payment....it just feels a little silly. For new people, or those who are chronically late...yep, yer getting that 2 year contract!
I can see the 2-year contract, what I can't see is the $150.00 fee to upgrade to the 6-year-old Hopper 3 which is almost assuredly a refurb coming off the Tech's van.

Correct. The spotbeams were always there, but now those transponders are being used for spotbeams instead of CONUS converge. On that page, James Long notes under the map "Transponder 6 is currently used for ConUS coverage", etc.
Do you know if this is affecting Chicago local channels. I have noticed in the past few weeks I have lost 2 (CBS), 5 (NBC), 7 (ABC), 9 (WGN), 32 (FOX), and 50, but all my other locals remain (11, 26, 40, 48, etc.). I am running a Hopper 2 so I dont think equipment should be a problem. Thanks in advance.

Do you know if this is affecting Chicago local channels. I have noticed in the past few weeks I have lost 2 (CBS), 5 (NBC), 7 (ABC), 9 (WGN), 32 (FOX), and 50, but all my other locals remain (11, 26, 40, 48, etc.). I am running a Hopper 2 so I dont think equipment should be a problem. Thanks in advance.

Chicago locals are on 61.5 transponder 18 or 110 transponder 31. If you have 11, 26, 40, 48 in your guide you should have the others. Do you have a list set up in your guide by chance? Do you use PTAT and if so does that record normally?

Chicago locals are on 61.5 transponder 18 or 110 transponder 31. If you have 11, 26, 40, 48 in your guide you should have the others. Do you have a list set up in your guide by chance? Do you use PTAT and if so does that record normally?
I agree that I should have the main networks but I don't. I do use PTAT but nothing has recorded for over 2 weeks. The channels show in the guide, but when you select one it gives 536 error and that Dish is aware of the outage.

I agree that I should have the main networks but I don't. I do use PTAT but nothing has recorded for over 2 weeks. The channels show in the guide, but when you select one it gives 536 error and that Dish is aware of the outage.

Sounds like signal loss or you're outside of the spotbeam - you can DM me your account info and I can look into it for you.

Is this information available on the Dish website anywhere? What satellite and transponders each of the locals are on? I see the RV page has the orbitals for the national channels (I assume it will be updated once the transition is complete), but I don't see a similar document for locals.

That is an old list. It shows Columbus, Ohio locals on 129 but they have moved to 119. James used to document the actual Dish downloads but he stopped providing that a long time ago. That is one thing that I miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason is irrelevant. The fact that the lists are no longer updated should be noted so folks are not mislead by the outdated information or the lists withdrawn.
You just have to look at the fine print. It's there as of April 22, 2022, a bit over a year ago.
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 5.35.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 5.35.28 PM.png