MRV and DECA confusion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

atl_libra

Original poster
May 27, 2010
Atlanta,Ga
Hello all:

I am in the process of possibly upgrading to the DECA - MRV system. Right now I have two hr-23's hd dvrs (living room and bedroom)....and a standard def receiver (spare bedroom). I'm so confused right now it's crazy....information overload for sure. I called Directv to inqure about the upgrade and thats where it all went down hill. His information was pretty much a contridiction of the information that I have been reading on here. LOL i'm going to side with the forum on this one though. I have a pending install setup for the upgrade. I haggled down to 50 bucks. He waived the install and half of the 99 equipment. As I have been reading on here more and more...i'm thinking about calling back and getting some things clarified. I'm in the Atlanta market...are they sending out the hr24's in this market yet? Also, how does the MRV system work with two hd dvrs on the network. My wife watches most of her tv in the bedroom and I watch a lot in the living room. I want her to be able to watch her programs upstairs and downstairs and same for me. I dont feel comfortable using just one hd dvr to handle the recording tasks. We record a lot of programs and a lot of times our programs come on at the same time. So one box only being able to record 2 shows at once, wouldnt cut it. So what should I be trying to get from directv? Two hr24 hd dvr's...and one more regular hr24 for the spare bedroom?

Each HD DVR can watch programs from the other. Other than the fact that the HR24 is faster, I'd leave well enough alone with the HR23s.

What kind of information was in conflict from the CSR?

Since you now have HR23s, you probably have the correct dish. What is needed is to swap out the LNB for the SWM version and to supply the DECA modules (one for each DVR and one to connect to the internet). Or an SWM8 could be connected to your current 4 output LNB. You may also need an SWM splitter for the two DVRs. If your standard receiver is not SWM capable, then you will need the SWM8 as it has legacy ports.

I agree with leaving well enough alone. My only problem with that is...they are having me renew a 2 year contract. For two more years...I want to be getting something more than the equipment I already have (and spent two years with) and some "new wiring".

He told me that I could only have one HD DVR on the network and all the other tvs had to have a regular receiver to pull recorded programming from the HD DVR. It was almost as if he was trying to talk me out of doing the upgrade. Saying it didn't make sense to drop down to one HD DVR instead of the two I already had, and asked if having MRV was worth losing the two HD DVRs I had and replacing it with a "centralized system". I figured he didn't know what the hell he was talking about and went ahead and ordered the installation anyway.

atl_libra said:
I agree with leaving well enough alone. My only problem with that is...they are having me renew a 2 year contract. For two more years...I want to be getting something more than the equipment I already have (and spent two years with) and some "new wiring".

I'm sure they are going to upgrade your SD box to an HD box on your 3rd TV. That's where the new agreement comes from. That's the only was to get MRV in the third room.

Think I may just cancel the installation. I only have 2 months left on my contract. I want the HR24..and they wont guarantee it....so I dunno.

He told me that I could only have one HD DVR on the network and all the other tvs had to have a regular receiver to pull recorded programming from the HD DVR. It was almost as if he was trying to talk me out of doing the upgrade. Saying it didn't make sense to drop down to one HD DVR instead of the two I already had, and asked if having MRV was worth losing the two HD DVRs I had and replacing it with a "centralized system". I figured he didn't know what the hell he was talking about and went ahead and ordered the installation anyway.

You are correct. I have two HR24 DVRs and they do MRV with each other just perfectly. I love this setup.

Haven't cancelled yet. Really wish there was a way to ensure I would get the new hr24's. At this point I may leave well enough alone...and run the mrv over my network, though I hate the lag. Then i'll just let my contract run out and save the leverage of being out of contract for something better.

Well I bit the bullet today and called DTV. Supposedly because of being so long time with em and stuff by the time the lady finished placing my order I think I'm coming out ahead. It looks like I'm only going to get billed a $49 install charge and no charge for a second unit at all plus a discount on my bill for a few months but the whole Decca situation has me confused a bit. I went outside to look and currently my HR-22 wiring is set up as follows:

2 wires come from the roof dish to a bar with 4 inputs/outputs on it. 2 Wires then go from the bar into the house then 2 cables run from the wall to the 2 inputs on my HR-22 with a doodad on each wire before the connect to the DVR. Then I have a single Ethernet cable running from the the DVR to a network hub so I can see the recordings on my computer as well when I'm in my office.

Right now I'm only using one DVR and I watch some of the recordings on my PC. Now with the new Decca stuff is it going to cause me any problems or should this all be fairly simple.

Well I bit the bullet today and called DTV. Supposedly because of being so long time with em and stuff by the time the lady finished placing my order I think I'm coming out ahead. It looks like I'm only going to get billed a $49 install charge and no charge for a second unit at all plus a discount on my bill for a few months but the whole Decca situation has me confused a bit. I went outside to look and currently my HR-22 wiring is set up as follows:

2 wires come from the roof dish to a bar with 4 inputs/outputs on it. 2 Wires then go from the bar into the house then 2 cables run from the wall to the 2 inputs on my HR-22 with a doodad on each wire before the connect to the DVR. Then I have a single Ethernet cable running from the the DVR to a network hub so I can see the recordings on my computer as well when I'm in my office.

Right now I'm only using one DVR and I watch some of the recordings on my PC. Now with the new Decca stuff is it going to cause me any problems or should this all be fairly simple.

The installers will put a SWiM LNB on your slimline dish. A single cable from that dish will run to a SWiM green labeled splitter. From there a single coax line to each receiver (which is the benefit of SWiM). Depending on what receivers they give you, you may or may not have a little DECA adapter attached to the back of the receiver. H/HR24 series have DECA built in. One of the receivers will have a SWiM power supply attached to the coax and plugged directly into an outlet. (They won't let you plug it into a power strip. I told them as soon as they left I was plugging it in to my UPS)

In order to use DirecTV2PC, you must have them install the DECA internet connection kit. A single coax line from the SWiM splitter will be run near your router or switch. It has a power cable and an ethernet cable to attach to the router/switch. You will then be able to use DirecTV2PC and select either receiver to watch the recordings from. With DECA you can view the recordings on either receiver assuming you will have two DVRs.

I am very impressed with DECA so far. The speed is better than my hardwired network, especially with DirecTV2PC.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts