MRV observations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

trehutch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Beaverton
So in playing around with this CE release hear are some observations:

While fast Fowarding a watching a program from a different receiver it doesn't skip back to correct itself when you hit play.

When you fast forward up to 3 the picture will hang and freeze, but still Fast forward so when you hit play again you are farther into the program than you thought. Wondering if I put a gigabit switch in, if this will slove this. Current running a Belkin 10/100 wireless router. both my receiver are hardwired to this though, tried Powerline and it wasn't cutting it.

If you are watching the same program and stop and then come back to watch or go watch it on the original receiver it will start back at the beginning and not resume where you left off.

One of my receiver will not hold a playlist orderin (A-Z) mode it always reverts back to Date mode for playlist order.

All said I can live with these because MRV rocks

I would add that that the MRV Servers are more stable with this CE and have kept the Shared List updated and are not given so easily to shut down as the previous two CE's.

And I do believe we did have a CE that was keeping the progress/resume status for remote viewing at least for a short period of time???

And I don't understand the series of steps required to STOP a playback/DONE/LIST/SCROLL to get back to playlist and select another show to playback. Why not just go right back to playlist when stop button is pressed when the red button can be used for delete and info button can be used to get episode and series link options. I would just prefer to step back in the list where I selected playback from.

Does the receiver support gigabit, if the receiver does not supprot gigabit, I don't think you will gain much going to a gigabit switch, the receiver will still only handle up to 100mbps, after you factor in overhead, you'll get about 60-80 mbps. I tried hooking my office computer that were were 100mbps to the gigabit switch, and it did not do a thing. However, if you have a hub, and not a switch, upgrading to a switch should improve performance.

60mbps is more than enough to carry HD, so it sounds like the the problem if it is network related could be coming from other traffic on the network. I don't think that gigabit is necessary to stream one HD show from one box to another, consider putting your receivers on their own subnet, (and switch) so they don't share traffice with other devices in the home.

So in playing around with this CE release hear are some observations:

While fast Fowarding a watching a program from a different receiver it doesn't skip back to correct itself when you hit play.

When you fast forward up to 3 the picture will hang and freeze, but still Fast forward so when you hit play again you are farther into the program than you thought. Wondering if I put a gigabit switch in, if this will slove this. Current running a Belkin 10/100 wireless router. both my receiver are hardwired to this though, tried Powerline and it wasn't cutting it.

If you are watching the same program and stop and then come back to watch or go watch it on the original receiver it will start back at the beginning and not resume where you left off.

One of my receiver will not hold a playlist orderin (A-Z) mode it always reverts back to Date mode for playlist order.

All said I can live with these because MRV rocks

Does the receiver support gigabit, if the receiver does not supprot gigabit, I don't think you will gain much going to a gigabit switch, the receiver will still only handle up to 100mbps, after you factor in overhead, you'll get about 60-80 mbps. I tried hooking my office computer that were were 100mbps to the gigabit switch, and it did not do a thing. However, if you have a hub, and not a switch, upgrading to a switch should improve performance.

60mbps is more than enough to carry HD, so it sounds like the the problem if it is network related could be coming from other traffic on the network. I don't think that gigabit is necessary to stream one HD show from one box to another, consider putting your receivers on their own subnet, (and switch) so they don't share traffice with other devices in the home.

Sounds like you you do have a network issue with the FFWD; I just tested that while streaming HD and I get motion although it's not smooth, not very jittery but it is skipping a lot of frames which makes it difficult to find a particular spot on show. (It's easier to remember what the progress time was when leaving a show to remotely view later because it cannot be bookmarked if remotely viewing and the remote DVR will not remember it for you unless you're watching locally).

Anyhow, it is a good idea to to subnet with a switch and the gigabit switch is actually suggested because it will dedicate the 100mbps bandwidth streams and can be purchased without breaking the budget. Here's one on NewEgg that cfb has posted Newegg.com - TRENDnet TEG-S50G 10/100/1000Mbps GREENnet Switch 5 x RJ45 104KBytes Buffer Memory - Switches

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts