MRV Speed Concerns

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I Have had MRV ever since the first CE. I know the HR21 is slow to begin with but, when watching a show through MRV the system lags during initial playback, fast forwarding, and rewinding. When watching show on the "local" hard drive it works like normal.

Here is my setup:

Dish > Power Inserter > SWS8 splitter > HR21's

HR21 > 10/100 switch > 10/100/1000 switch (Internet tied in) > 10/100 switch > HR21

Is there anything else I can do to increase my MRV speed? Perhaps my bottleneck is at the 10/100 switches? Maybe there is a better way to connect things?

Like I said I have had this setup for a long time and I could be a little out of date with my setup. VOD works now but I have no Media Share from my PC either which isn't a huge deal as I want to get the AppleTV anyways.

Thanks in advance

although the DirecTV units are not gigabit, my entire home network is and have absolutely zero playback issues even with HD; as always your mileage may vary but I think throughput is key

currently running an H21, HR21, and HR20 along with all my computers and riff raff on my network, 1 router with gig-e and a 24 port cisco gig-e switch. I can throw data around like no tomorrow, but my hr21 has the same sluggish response when playing from the hr20, the h21 has no issues either way and the hr20 has no issues either way. the hr21 is the issue.

Is anyone doing any SELF network trouble shooting? I know score of people with the supported and non-support MRV with various receivers and they are having ZERO issues.

I work in IT and know my network is good here at home. This weekend, when I have time, I plan to eliminate the 10/100 switches to see if my performance increases.

I'll post my results afterwards.

Ditto in the IT field and mind you that 'IT' encompasses a WHOLE LOT of individual fields.

Anyway, when you look at the scenarios you have users with no issues and users reporting issues. Question #1 is what is different in each case? It's not the DirecTV receivers as there are varying models in both camps; SO; that casts a HUGE spotlight on where the issues most likely lurk; and that is the portion of the scenarios that is never constant, which is the user's network; the hardware (including cabling), firmware(s) where applicable, the setup, other software or hardware conflicts or bottlenecks, and the traffic. WHEW! The best bet lies where? Just saying.

Last edited:
I have the more "normal" MRV setup using DECA modules on the receivers and a wired DECA network connection to my router and my HR21 and H21 work OK with minimal delays and lags.

I tested my setup today by removing the 2 10/100 switches which left only 1 gigabit switch between the HR21's. No difference.

It's not as if it crawls or anything. It's just slower watching through MRV vs watching on the "local" box.

I'm fine with it. Just thought maybe there was a better setup (deca) over mine.

You realize each MRV stream only runs 10Mbps or so, right? So unless you have 90Mbps worth of other traffic running on the network, it has no effect on MRV.

exactly so if he killed all other traffic and still can't get it to run correctly he has some issues. I have those units (as well as a few friends) all on non-DECA setup and have absolutely no lag issues.

charper1 said:
exactly so if he killed all other traffic and still can't get it to run correctly he has some issues. I have those units (as well as a few friends) all on non-DECA setup and have absolutely no lag issues.

So you're saying when you watch a show through MVR and you do 30 sec skip it performs exactly as it does when not accessing the recording through MRV? And it doesn't take 15 seconds for a recorded show to begin playing through MRV?

I can tell you I have CAT5e ran and I did it myself a couple years ago. I'm using a Netgear 8 port gigabit switch. I can record 2 short videos from my iPhone to show you what I'm experiencing if you'd like. Again it's nothing major. I was more or less just inquiring.

So you're saying when you watch a show through MVR and you do 30 sec skip it performs exactly as it does when not accessing the recording through MRV? And it doesn't take 15 seconds for a recorded show to begin playing through MRV?

I can tell you I have CAT5e ran and I did it myself a couple years ago. I'm using a Netgear 8 port gigabit switch. I can record 2 short videos from my iPhone to show you what I'm experiencing if you'd like. Again it's nothing major. I was more or less just inquiring.

Yeah the skip controls work the same as on the DVR. No lag. There is a slight buffer delay when starting a program remotely, but 15 seconds is way too long. Mine start within about 5 seconds.

Yes, that is what I am saying. About 4-6 seconds to load up a remote program at start, but after that all controls work like I was at the main units in an instant.

Also for a few extra pennies per foot my gigabit network consists of CAT6a as opposed to CAT6, CAT5 or CAT5e.

My hardware in this loop D-link: DIR-655 GigaRouter> (2x) DGS-1008P PoE GigaSwitches > End Devices all with CAT6a runs (jumpers and long runs)

Last edited:
From the time I press play it takes 5 seconds to begin playing. A 30 second skip also takes 4-5 seconds. I just timed it. :)

If you were me, would you live with it or look into going deca?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)