MRV upgrade and 3 DVRs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rwcmick

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Okay, so I was doing the beta MRV like everybody else. Unlike most of you here, I wasn't aware that MRV was going to become a paid service, but I found that out the hard way yesterday.

As I understand it, if I go the DECA/SWM route I will pay $99 equipment and maybe a $50 install fee to have my old system converted over to SWM.

Once this is done, my current HR23's will only need to use one cable each, potentially freeing up the possibility for me to add an HR24 as a third DVR without running more cable? Since system would be SWM, I wouldn't need a BBC for the HR24?

DirecTV doesn't limit me to two DVRs on my account, does it?

At the end of the day, if I could have three DVRs running on SWM with MRV capability for the low, low price of $99 + (maybe) $50 + $200 + shipping for the receiver + $3/mo I'd be okay with that.

Yep, you have it right. There is no guarantee you will get an HR24 though. I just ordered one from Overstock, so I will have three DVR's now. You can have three DVRs, some have a lot more. The SWiM LNB will run 8 tuners, so that is 4 DVRS. There are SWiM multiswitches (SWiM 16) that will allow 16 tuners. Oh, yes SWiM uses a single cable to each receiver and B-band converters are not necessary....

You should be able to get the deal you are describing easily. If you want an HR24 order it from Overstock....see the last few pages of this thread for a 15% off deal making it 150 and some change for the HR24...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/212331-just-ordered-hr24-solid-signal.html

Thanks! I would planning on going thru Solid Signal, but Overstock is much better!

Just a quick follow-up. I ordered the HR24 from Overstock. I guess I should activate it when it arrives, even though I don't have the BBCs and then order MRV so that they setup the order correctly for my new count of receivers? Otherwise, they'll show up with the wrong work order, won't they?

You could activate it, or just have them note the new receiver needs to be installed and activated when they arrive. Personally? I would activate it and replace one of your other receivers temporarily until D* shows up for the SWiM/DECA upgrade. That is what I am going to do when mine gets here. I am going to activate it and leave my HR21 disconnected for a few days until I can get DirecTV here. Since I have BBC's on the old receiver it's a direct swap and I can start using my new toy.....

okay...so the receiver arrived. i called in and activated it and requested mrv. of course, since i don't have any bbcs laying around, the hr24 isn't much good to me until the swm setup is in place but i feel better having it on the record. the charge was the expected $99 + tax which came to 108 for me. the install fee was charged and then credited immediately. i did have to pay the 108 bucks on my credit card, they would not allow me to bill it to my account. installer is supposed to be here on friday. hopefully it all goes smoothly. the last time directv was out here to install something they put a hole in my wall, so i am a bit nervous.

okay...so the receiver arrived. i called in and activated it and requested mrv. of course, since i don't have any bbcs laying around, the hr24 isn't much good to me until the swm setup is in place but i feel better having it on the record. the charge was the expected $99 + tax which came to 108 for me. the install fee was charged and then credited immediately. i did have to pay the 108 bucks on my credit card, they would not allow me to bill it to my account. installer is supposed to be here on friday. hopefully it all goes smoothly. the last time directv was out here to install something they put a hole in my wall, so i am a bit nervous.

I just did the same as you, but I temporarily disconnected my HR21 so I could use the BBC's to hook up my new HR24! Love that new box......I am moving off my unsupported MRV network tomorrow and having DECA and SWiM installed. Same as you, they waved the 49....cost me 99. Looking forward to getting all four receivers on MRV instead of just two.....

So the job was done. Went pretty well. Got swm 8 module installed. The installers panicked and forced firmware updates, even though I assured them they had just been updated and even though the screen clearly stated that the account was not authorized for MRV. While they were waiting, I called up Directv and they said that in my case, b/c I needed hardware first, they didn't authorize MRV until the installer said the hardware was good to go. They sent out authorization, but sadly one of the receivers was still updating sofware, so we only got 2 out 3 working. Had to reauth again. I figure this whole goose chase extended the install by 30-45 minutes. No biggie, but the wife was getting steamed as I was supposed to take her out to lunch. I am very pleased with both MRV over DECA and the new HR24.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts