MRV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikeshady

Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Cali
Is there a way to link two hddvrs to two hd boxes,without having direct tv hook up the MRV. The reason I ask is because direct tv wants too much money to
Hook it up for me,they are willing to give me the two hd boxes for free but they want 225.00 to install the whole home MVR which is kinda high. Kinda sucks how they give everything to new customers but won't give anything to existing customers not under contract. Well thanks for any help

Yes, you can do it all through ethernet via your home network. Then you just need to call and convience them to activate multiroom viewing (whole home DVR) service for the $3 /month. They will take the $3, but will not offer any support on setup / help. You may need to call a few different CSRs to find one that will know how to enable it in the unsupported fashion, but it can be done. Emailing that request may be effective too.

Ok cool do you know if the powerline adapters will work? It worked between the two hddvrs when it was in the beta stage and do the regular hd boxes have an Ethernet port. THANKS

They do work but are not 100% reliable especially with HD and you can drop connection as well. I do the unsupported without issue; but not with wireless or power-line. The best I have used are the D-link DHP-301/302; best you can do (everyone's network issues can be different) is to try for yourself and see what YOU think.

It was too cheap and easy for me to do the DIY gigabit wired setup with white CAT6a - didn't even need to fish walls in some cases and its WELL hidden. FLAWLESS

Also consider calling back DirecTV and see if a different CSR will do better than $225, or perhaps talk to retention. If you consider cable or FIOS pricing with them they can probably do better than $225. The DECA solution is very good and very reliable, I've enjoyed it and the reliability and paid $100 for the upgrade after the free beta time ended. It works better than even a hard wired network, as it creates essentially an isolated network, free from any other traffic.

You should be able to get it down in price if you negotiate.
Threaten to cancel if they don't deal.
That usually gets them.

Yeah I tried twice, they said since I need the two HD boxes,and the install they couldn't give it all to me free. They said they would give me the two HD boxes free but not the whole home dvr install.I took the two boxes free and have to renew two
Year contract. Do you guys think I could have done better got it all free , or cheaper then 225.00. I don't have to agree to the new two year until I activate the boxes. THANKSS

If they gave you two HD boxes free that is a $200 discount. You probably won't do better. Free MRV install would have been similiar, a $200 discount. You probably got about as much as they would give with all you were asking for at once. Having just started a new 2 year contract, you have little negotiation power now.

I don't have to agree to the new contract until I activate the new boxes. Wonder if I should try for a better deal before I activate the two boxes. Maybee I should be happy with what I got and try to set up the MRV on my home network

Last time I called for a customer the MRV install was $99

I am guessing you do not have a SWM dish.
If not, you can buy the LNB, 8 way swm splitter, and power supply for way less money on ebay and do it yourself.
You will also need Decas for any receiver that is not a 24 series.

Not sure if I have a swm dish or not I believe it's a newer one sorry for not having the knowledge on some of this stuff

Easiest way is to look and see if it has 1 line coming down to a splitter or 4 lines coming down from the dish.

1 line = SWM
4 lines = old system

Depends on how you wire it up.
I have not done it this way, so I don't know, but what I am gathering is that without SWM to can hard wire each receiver directly to your router.

Somebody else will have to chime up on this one.

If this is the case, can you also do it with wireless ethernet jacks?
If so, will you just need one at the router and one at each receiver?

Last time I called for a customer the MRV install was $99

I am guessing you do not have a SWM dish.

If not, you can buy the LNB, 8 way swm splitter, and power supply for way less money on ebay and do it yourself.
You will also need Decas for any receiver that is not a 24 series.

It just went up recently, I was quoted $248.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)