MSG Network to launch OTT app this summer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN

Do you live in the New York area and watch to watch the regional Sports Network MSG? Good news starting this summer, you will be able to directly subscribe to MSG with MSG+ and get live feeds of the NBA’s New York Knicks and the NHL’s New York Rangers, New York Islanders, and New Jersey Devils.

Initially, the service was to launch in the Spring of this year, but MSG decided to push it back until the summer to make sure it had content to show. The fear was that since MSG has no MLB franchise, there wouldn’t be enough content over the summer to support the streaming service.

No price listed

No price listed
1676060013362.gif

$30 a month or 9.99 a game

Today MSG announced that the MSG+ streaming service will cost $29.99 a month or $309.99 a year. Don’t want to pay that just to watch one or two games? MSG+ will let you watch a single game for $9.99 per game.

• Sad
Reactions: AZ.
That is not a "crazy high price" at all. That is what they have to charge, and they still are certainly losing money at it.

The local ratings for the NBA teams in question are 1.24 and 0.68. No idea what the overlap between the two is, has to be some, so lets go with 1.75% of people interested in local NBA games. NHL ratings are harder to find, but lets be generous and say they are the close to the same and the overlap (fans who watch both basketball and hockey) are not that great. Lets thus end up with 3%. Three percent of people who watch NBA or NHL local games in this region. The NYC TV market is 7.4M people. Lets add in Buffalo and the other smaller markets in NY state, and say we are at 11M. 3% of 11M is 330K. So that is $9.9M.

They pay just the Knicks $100M/year. Just the Knicks. Add in the Nets, and four NHL teams.

This is a loss making deal.

Just wait until you see what they have to charge for an RSN with baseball.

I'm waiting, not so patiently, for YES to announce a DTC option.

• Love
I've seen all those announcements, I mean one with a definitive date and cost. But thanks for the post.

I didn't see anything about whether they will allow multiple streams outside of the household at the same time. If it's possible, it might work out well if you split the cost with at least 1 other person and it's $15/month.

On the surface, $30/month is steep but I guess if you look at what it costs per NHL game, it's not a bad deal. Take the month of March as an example -- 12 Sabres games on MSG so that's $2.50 a game for 1 month. April has 8 games on MSG so that's $3.75 per game. So I guess I can justify the monthly cost on a per game basis. And if I was an NBA fan too, the cost per game makes this even less.

March 30..go to that website and all will be revealed
There was an announcement that they were targeting opening day but nothing that I've seen has verified that. And there is still no pricing that I have seen.

I didn't see anything about whether they will allow multiple streams outside of the household at the same time. If it's possible, it might work out well if you split the cost with at least 1 other person and it's $15/month.

On the surface, $30/month is steep but I guess if you look at what it costs per NHL game, it's not a bad deal. Take the month of March as an example -- 12 Sabres games on MSG so that's $2.50 a game for 1 month. April has 8 games on MSG so that's $3.75 per game. So I guess I can justify the monthly cost on a per game basis. And if I was an NBA fan too, the cost per game makes this even less.
I can do without YES from Nov-March so I'd only have to pay $210/year or $17.50/month year round. Unless $30 is a monthly cost based on a yearly subscription.

I can do without YES from Nov-March so I'd only have to pay $210/year or $17.50/month year round. Unless $30 is a monthly cost based on a yearly subscription.
It's $310 for a yearly subscription which comes out to $25.83 a month for 12 months. The $30 for a month is if you do a month to month. Given how there isn't NHL or NBA content on MSG for June, July, August and September, it would be cheaper to carry it month to month for only 7-8 months (depending on your team and playoffs).