Multi-Dish Installation

jeralmac

Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Minnesota
I have a somewhat unique situation. I am about to order the Dish HD package with 2 ViP722 HD receivers. Our house has a barely attached guest house where my Mother-in-law lives. When the guest house was built (4 years ago), they didn't run any RG-6, only power and phone. There is a large concrete walkway separating the 2 buildings. We obviously want to be on the same package as it is truly one residence. My question to anyone that knows is this: can I order an additional 'Dish 1000.2' antenna? The dish that comes with the receivers on our part of the house and the additional dish antenna on hers? I would love to confirm that we can have 2 receivers from the same account on 2 different dishes since running cables over to her would be extremely difficult.

Thanks very much in advance!!

That would turn into a CSR nightmare. You would probably have better luck dealing with a (reputable) local retailer. It will probably cost a little more up front, since this doesn't count as a 'standard' install (extra dish, etc...)

I understand that Dishnetwork might be confused by this so what I planned to do is let them install the one dish on the house with the two receivers. Once they've left, I planned on buying an additional Dish 1000.2 antenna ($85) and install that myself and move the second receiver over to the guest house.

Just run the cable as a highwire between the buildings. I don't think you plan will fly.

I thought of that but my Wife and Mother-in-law both shot that down. We have all underground wiring so they are strongly against have over head wiring.

I thought of that but my Wife and Mother-in-law both shot that down. We have all underground wiring so they are strongly against have over head wiring.

Your mother in law gets a vote????? Once it's up, they'll never know its there.

I understand that Dishnetwork might be confused by this so what I planned to do is let them install the one dish on the house with the two receivers. Once they've left, I planned on buying an additional Dish 1000.2 antenna ($85) and install that myself and move the second receiver over to the guest house.

That would work fine.

Call Claude at Dishstore. They have the best deals going right now and will be able to tell you straight if your plan will work. He is one of this site's sponsors and supporters. He's cool.

I really don't need to use a local installer, I was actually an installer for Directv for about 8 years so I'm quite familiar with aspects of installation. I'm just looking to find out if there's anything Dishnetwork equipment uses like a unique number that the receivers read from the LNB's that might prevent a receiver from working if it's not attached to a "master" dish. I know it can be done with Directv equipment as I did it in 2001 with a similar house/guest house environment. So I'm just seeing if anyone out there has done it with recent Dishnetwork equipment.

I really don't need to use a local installer, I was actually an installer for Directv for about 8 years so I'm quite familiar with aspects of installation. I'm just looking to find out if there's anything Dishnetwork equipment uses like a unique number that the receivers read from the LNB's that might prevent a receiver from working if it's not attached to a "master" dish. I know it can be done with Directv equipment as I did it in 2001 with a similar house/guest house environment. So I'm just seeing if anyone out there has done it with recent Dishnetwork equipment.

Yes you can add the second dish with no problems if you install it yourself. There are subs with multiple receivers and multiple dishes because a second Dish 1000.2 was cheaper than buying a DPP44. Many of us have dual Dish 500 installs and some have one dish for each sat position to minimize rain fade.

This was already kinda answered, but yes this will work fine. If either of the boxes are VIP, they will still be able to communicate through the powerline. Otherwise, you will need to have them all connected to phone to dial out. If they're NOT VIP disregard that completely. But no matter what, it WILL work.

Can you elaborate "connect through the power line"? They will both have ethernet connections from the same internet sourse, is there something else they do to communicate?

Can you elaborate "connect through the power line"? They will both have ethernet connections from the same internet sourse, is there something else they do to communicate?

that would do it too he was referring to the 722's built in homeplug which can communicate using the power lines your planned configuration is better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)