Multi-Room distribute using existing cable T.V. run.

wfo63

Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Aurora, CO
I am curently a cable T.V. subscriber and have considered for some time switching to satellite T.V.. My house curretly has four rooms with RG-6 cable runs all from one spliter on the outside of my house. I currently have a digital cable box for expanded cable on one T.V. the other three rooms receive only basic cable T.V. signals(no cable box).

Can I use my existing cable run, I am looking at Qwest and DirectTV? Will I need a receiver for every room? I will only need PPV or DVR for the main T.V. What would be my most cost effective route to go for watching Satellite T.V. in three different rooms? I like the current setup I have now including the broadband cable modem, but not the high price Comcast is charging me every month as an existing customer.

Thanks,

Bill

As long as you have home runs from the splitter to each room you can put in a Sat receiver in those rooms. Or you can use a diplexer to feed the TV out signal back to the splitter and feed multiple TV's off one receiver, but you'll have to watch watever is playing on that receiver. And you can only get HD at the Tv where you install an HD receiver.

It sounds like each room has a home run cable to the outside. If that is so, then you are fine for standard and High def. Hopefully, there are no surprises such as staples cutting on the edge of a cable in the wall. Probably not.

However, if you want a DVR in a room, the you have a problem because DVRs have dual tuners and each tuner needs its separate cable. Thus, you would need to run another cable to that particular location. But that should be the installer's problem and not yours.

Regarding Qwest vs DirecTV. Qwest does not have its own satellite TV system; Qwest simply markets DirectTV. There is no difference in the equipment or the programming. Qwest might be able to save you a few dollars with bundled services (but do not ever break the bundle). However, you will be a service orphan because you will have dealt with a mass marketer and not personal people. My advice is find a local DirecTV dealer and order through him. The start-up cost is probably free no matter what you do, so deal with the local guy and you will be happier on the long run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)