Status
Please reply by conversation.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
I got a SWM 16 installed at my house, and im using 14 of the 16 channels.

I want to add an HR34 to my setup, but thats going to put me past 16 channels, which means I need a second SWM 16 Switch.

No issues purchasing the other switch, but then I run into the issue of multi-room Viewing not passing through the second SWM 16 switch, and I'll have TV's not on the same network.

I do have eithernet at every television, if I hooked all my receivers to eithernet will multi-room viewing still work, eventhough im running more than 16 Tuners?

I think it will, I just don't want to spend 3-4 hours tracing down eithernet cables in my house and configuring the eithernet connection at each receiver.

There are not a lot of references to the system configuration you are proposing. But from a series of posts on this forum and another, I would think your best chance of success would be via direct internet connections to a central router. According to those who seem to know, most current G and particularly N routers have greater bandwidth than D*'s coax system. But, you may have another issue finding enough ports on your router to drive all this.

MRV does not seem to be tuner dependent. On my HR24 receiver I can record 2 programs and still watch a movie from the DVR in the other room at the same time. So, while there may be some constraints on the system, I doubt your tuner count will be an issue for MRV.

There is a Swm 32 switch which should pass MRV.

Swm 32 is designed for MDU Installation and so does not pass mrv through to the four swm ports. The four SWM ports on a SWM32 are isolated to prevent different appartments from seeing each other's DVRs.

Cascade a SWM8 off of the cascade ports of your SWM16 for the HR34 and connect that box via ethernet. As long as Deca adapter is connected to the same home network, all your boxes including the HR34 should see each other. Hope this helps.

I think an average user would be happier with two SWM-16s (or a SWM-16 and a SWM-8). The SWM-32 is essentially four cascaded SWM-8s and does not allow for MRV between the 4 banks. With lines from the dish split to different SWMs, you can run dual cinema connection kits (one from each SWM) into a switch and have MRV throughout the house.

I think an average user would be happier with two SWM-16s (or a SWM-16 and a SWM-8). The SWM-32 is essentially four cascaded SWM-8s and does not allow for MRV between the 4 banks. With lines from the dish split to different SWMs, you can run dual cinema connection kits (one from each SWM) into a switch and have MRV throughout the house.

I agree no need for swm32. Cascade a SWM8 or SWM 16 Also there is no need for a second deca. if their is Ethernet already at the HR34 location, just hook it up to the same network and you are good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts