Multi satellite set up question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

icstephen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Canton, Oh
I finally took the plunge and ordered 4 more 36" dishes from Sadoun and a diseqc switch and I am wondering what is the best way to set them up? I am running a Fortec lifetime classic NA and it has a setting for diseqc but I have not touched it because I am not yet running a switch. I am assuming that it would be best for me to set up each dish first before putting on the switch...or is there a better way? Once I get the dishes set up and on the switch how do I set it up in the receiver? I'm sure I will have more questions in the future:rolleyes:

yes set them up without the switch.

Once they are setup, turn off the reciever via the back switch and hook up the switch. Depending on how far the dishes are part, try to find a centralized spot fort he switch and hook up the 4 dishes. Hook it up into the reciever and turn back on.

IN the menu, there is a spot for "diseqc". Just set that up with the corresponding dish (port number on switch)

so if you have G10 plugged into 1, AMC3 plugged into 2, SBS6 plugged into 3 and IA6 plugged into 4 you would set the diseqc up as such in ther menu :)

Ok I knew I would think of another question....I know that there is something that you can download that will allow you to edit the channel list, will it work with a multi dish set up? What are the pro's & con's of using such software? Should I use the program at Fortec's web site or is there a better one? Will the program allow me to enter the list across all of my satellites (ie channel 1 from IA5, channel 2 from IA5, channel 3 from AMC1, Etc...)? Also if I am running one of these programs how does that affect my blind scanning (I really like to look for wild feeds)....say if I had all of my favorite channels in my list and I wanted to scan a satellite would that wipe out the favorites that I had stored?

Iceberg said:
yes set them up without the switch.

Once they are setup, turn off the reciever via the back switch and hook up the switch. Depending on how far the dishes are part, try to find a centralized spot fort he switch and hook up the 4 dishes. Hook it up into the reciever and turn back on.

IN the menu, there is a spot for "diseqc". Just set that up with the corresponding dish (port number on switch)

so if you have G10 plugged into 1, AMC3 plugged into 2, SBS6 plugged into 3 and IA6 plugged into 4 you would set the diseqc up as such in ther menu :)

Thanks Ice, what if I wanted to add another dish in the future could I do it through the switch or is it still better to do it as above? I know the limit is 4 unless I do the 22khz then I can use 5...is that correct? I have one dish now and I only ordered 4 because it was a good deal...I am only going to set up 2 more (total 3) right now and then put the others when I get some trees down.

Channelmaster
http://www.sharpc.com/CM/update.aspx

you might have to upload your channels from the Fortec using the loader for the fortec. Havent tried it yet

Will the program allow me to enter the list across all of my satellites (ie channel 1 from IA5, channel 2 from IA5, channel 3 from AMC1, Etc...)?
yes. You can set up a customized channel list, satellite list (I have mine in order from 61-129) and favorites
Also if I am running one of these programs how does that affect my blind scanning (I really like to look for wild feeds)....say if I had all of my favorite channels in my list and I wanted to scan a satellite would that wipe out the favorites that I had stored?
no it won't. The existing channels should stay. I jknow there are some boxes that ioverride the old channel list when you rescan a satellite. Fortec's don't

icstephen said:
Thanks Ice, what if I wanted to add another dish in the future could I do it through the switch or is it still better to do it as above? I know the limit is 4 unless I do the 22khz then I can use 5...is that correct? I have one dish now and I only ordered 4 because it was a good deal...I am only going to set up 2 more (total 3) right now and then put the others when I get some trees down.

yes you can use a 22k switch. If you go to 5, add the 22k switch on one input of the switch (say port 4). then hook up your 2 dishes to that

Iceberg said:
yes you can use a 22k switch. If you go to 5, add the 22k switch on one input of the switch (say port 4). then hook up your 2 dishes to that

Sounds good...what is the best way to put the 2 dishes on that port? do they make a specific splitter? or can you use a 1in/2out in reverse? If this is the case any suggestions on splitter/combiner?

Thanks

you would have to hook up a 22k switch

receiver----------switch port 1-----------dish
--------------------switch port 2-----------dish
--------------------switch port 3-----------dish
--------------------switch port 4----22k switch 0k side----------dish
--------------------switch port 4----22k switch 22k side--------dish

just hook the 22k switch on one of the diseqc ports. This WILL NOT work with a Universal (sicne they have a 22k switch built in)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)