Multi Sports Pack and NESN

cdunis

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Upsate NY
Does anyone have the Multi Sports pack and live outside the NESN local guideline area? If so are all/most of the Red Sox games blacked out. I am considering getting the Multi sports pack, but do not want to waste the 6 bucks if all the Sox games are blacked out. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Does anyone have the Multi Sports pack and live outside the NESN local guideline area? If so are all/most of the Red Sox games blacked out.
Yes, they would be blacked out.

The multisport pack gets you access to other regional sports channels for many college games, but none of the professional sports games. (NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL would all be blacked out for networks outside of your region)

The only way to get the pro games is to sub to the individual pro sports packages (i.e. LP for the NBA games and CI for the Hockey games). Since Dish does not offer EI - MLB package, nobody outside of the market will be able to watch baseball games on the out of market RSNs.

I subscribe to the multi-sports package on Dish. While MLB games (and all pro sports) are blacked out, you can see the final innings of any game that runs over three hours, or two and a half hours on
SNY (Weird). Anyway, its far from ideal but rain delays are your friend if you have the multi-sports pack.

I subscribe to the multi-sports package on Dish. While MLB games (and all pro sports) are blacked out, you can see the final innings of any game that runs over three hours, or two and a half hours on
SNY (Weird). Anyway, its far from ideal but rain delays are your friend if you have the multi-sports pack.

Yes, that's what it would be good for if you are out of NESN's market. Same with hockey or basketball. Replays of NHL games overnight or the next day aren't blacked out.....not sure about baseball.

And since for some reason Red Sox games always seem to run long (few finish in three hours), you will be able to see the end of many games in SD. Note that the HD feed is usually a longer block of time like 4 hours, so catching the end of a Sox game in HD will be rare.

True, the 3 hour window only applies to SD. What's up with SNY? A 2 and a half hour window.
The Mets never finish in 2 and a half hours.

cdunis,
I see you are listed as upstate NY, It is likely you are within the spotbeam for NESN. you should look in to "moving" to Monroe CT. (you get both NESN and SNY). you will get NYC locals but you can put up an Antenna and get your regional locals on OTA.
(another red sox fan living in NY)

If you are a Boston sport fan you must consider "moving" Getting the Sox with Jerry and Don is only going to occur on DISH if you move to someplace like Monroe CT. You will however lose your present local stations.

No other way to get baseball consistently (every game) on DISH because they don't have the MLB Extra Innings package. That is available only from Direct.

That would depend on the spotbeam. There is overlap on most if not all the spotbeams. Knowing exactly where in upstate NY the lives would help.

Boston spot beam apparently covers all of Connecticut and much of NE New York.

Can be checked by looking at strength of TP5 on 61.5.

If you are a Boston sport fan you must consider "moving" Getting the Sox with Jerry and Don is only going to occur on DISH if you move to someplace like Monroe CT. You will however lose your present local stations.

No other way to get baseball consistently (every game) on DISH because they don't have the MLB Extra Innings package. That is available only from Direct.
Not true. Many cable outlets as well as FiOS and U-Verse also offer EI.

Direct does however carry every single NESN Sox feed in HD on their EI package and offer more games and more games in HD than the other providers, however.

If I "move" and still want to get OTA for my locals will I need to get an antenna and digital converter box to pick up my local signals? I have a ViP 722.

You will need to get an Antenna. Antennaweb.org is a great site to tell you how strong a signal and type of Antenna you would need based on station. Most stations will increase power on June 12th. So you will need a stronger antenna now then you will on June 12th.

You will NOT need a digital converter box. Dish HD dvr's 622 and 722 have a built in OTA (ATSC) tuner. Simply connect the coax to the box and scan for local channels.

One other Advantage of moving and a OTA Antenna is you could receive different games based on locals. for example if the Bills are broadcast on locals for Syracuse and the Jets and Giants are broadcast on NYC locals. you would receive all 3 games.

Also using OTA you can record 3 HD programs, 1 OTA, 2 Satellite, at the same time (and watch a previously recorded program) I never plan to watch a commercial again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)