Multifunction NAS

ahope577

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Somerset PA
One product that I have purchased recently & have had a great experience with is the Synology diskstation http://www.synology.com

I have the DS-106e which is now discontinued (replaced by the DS-107e) at home use as a Upnp media server (the latest models have an itunes server built into the firmware) & NAS. The box also has a download manager (called download station). Photo sharing capabilities surprisingly called photostation ;)
I found this box had a very high WAF due to the size & the fact I don't have to leave a fully fledged media server running 24/7.
Cost is reasonable & you can add a drive of any size internally & add up to two external USB drives & one eSATA drive.

One of the nice things I have found out about this is the great community support this products has, the have a dedicated area of the forum to modding the box for added functionality.

Ok Just thought you guys may be interested also does anyone else have any experiences with other multifunction NAS

I saw a neat NAS at Team Summit, it was the first box running Windows Home Server. I liked that it could back up your PC's at night and if your PC crashed you insert a CD to boot it up, and it restores your computer the way it was before it crashed.

I have a Mirra Personal server which is great. It automatically backs up folders that I tell it to.

Rc1

Windows Home Server has been in beta for a while now. I downloaded it a while back but never got around to installing it due to just being too busy with other projects. I'm glad I didn't as I just received an email from MS stating that the first release candidate (RC1) is going to be released soon and it requires a fresh install, meaning that if you were using the beta and have lots of backed-up data, you'll need to transfer it first from your WHS box before installing RC1. Now I can't wait to install as I'm looking for a reason to use these two Seagate 500GB HDDs staring back at me on my desk right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)