NAS Server: Recommendations

I don't know how aware you are of LER and my CVs but we both have significant experience in large scale systems installations.
I'm not aware.
But what does this have to do with the link I provided?

My understanding is, this thread is about NAS at home. And that ain't the same as NAS at work primarily because of $$$.
I have enough experience about the second (VMWare with iSCSI) to not need mentoring, thank you.
I haven't done this at home but find the link I provided useful.

For example, avoiding Realtek network cards (Marvells are way better) is a very good idea...

Diogen.

John,

How long had it been since you used unRAID. There have been some serious speed improvements in the last year or so. I have no issues at all accessing unRAID from multiple workstations simultaneously. My parity checks run at about 80MB/s and writing to the array I get about 35-40MB/s.

Granted, unRAID certainly isn't the fastest NAS solution on the market, but for the hardware you can use and the price of the software, IMHO, it cant be beat.

Steven,

It's between about a year and a half since I've worked with unraid.

I can write in the 80MB/sec range but the only times I hit that is when I do speed testing.

Unraid isn't a bad product - especially if you are a technical novice... On the other hand, the ability of zfs is far beyond unraid on the same hardware.

I prefer zfs as it is something I'm very comfortable with.

Moar gees with gginggerbread and tapatalk!

My understanding is, this thread is about NAS at home. And that ain't the same as NAS at work primarily because of $$$.

Why shouldn't we use enterprise grade tools to manage our home systems when they come with the OS and we have the experience.

I have enough experience about the second (VMWare with iSCSI) to not need mentoring, thank you. I haven't done this at home but find the link I provided useful.

And LER is asking about specific experience with two solutions. Ive run both, have you?

For example, avoiding Realtek network cards (Marvells are way better) is a very good idea...

Depends on the OS. I lean towards intel and nvidia due to my os of choice. I've used all of them (real tek and marvell too) with no significant negative results.

Then again I run solaris, not linux.

Moar gees with gginggerbread and tapatalk!

Why shouldn't we use enterprise grade tools...
I lean towards intel and nvidia...
WTF?
Who said you shouldn't? I talked hardware...
And the point was to avoid Realtek and not use Marvell as the best overall...

I must have missed the meaning of your previous question.
It probably meant anybody who can't wax lyrical about dtrace should stay out of this discussion.

With great pleasure I grant you your wish...

Take care.
Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)