Linux Distro recommendation

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Any recommendations on which linux distro to install on 2 Dell laptops I just picked up?
I used MINT on another laptop for over a year and really liked it. Wondering if I should just go with it or
try something new?

i5, 6gb ram, 350gb HD.

Cheers, K

I like Ubuntu and I also like Mint which runs on Ubuntu core.
Just stick with Mint IMO.

Mint unless their slow update cycle is a problem, in which case try Manjaro.

There hasn't been a lot going on in terms of the Debian-based versions since Debian itself hasn't changed a lot (Jessie was released in April of 2015 and Stretch won't be frozen until next February).

As Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is getting a little long in the tooth, I recommend going with Ubuntu-based Mint 18. I am partial to the Cinnamon desktop (I'm currently running LMDE 2 Cinnamon).

I'm pleased to see that the Mint management has finally seen the light and now provides a version upgrade tool for the Ubuntu-based distros (versus backing everything up and installing the newer version from scratch).

As always, test compatibility using the installation CD in live mode. If Mint has inherent issues with your "older" computers, you're not committed.

If these computers are particularly wimpy, it is hard to beat Puppy Linux.

Are you looking for something to surf and read e-mails, or will you be using productivity tools? If you're adventurous you could try Chromium OS to turn your laptops into a "Chromebook". Ubuntu also has some lighter-weight versions available that might be to your liking. I like that you can burn some DVDs and try them out before committing to loading it on your computer's HDD.

Lubuntu is probably as low as I would go. Chromium is a waste on something that is otherwise a full-fledged computer and the software selection is not particularly comprehensive. You would probably be better off running Android (Remix OS or Bluestacks).

Last I checked, Chromium OS on a Pee Cee is not the same as a dedicated Chromebook as they don't auto-update or do much of the automatic housekeeping that a Chromebook would.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)