Multipath, mountains and antenna stacking question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The two low band VHF signals appear to be strong enough to be received, but interference usually takes more signal margin than UHF.
Step one is to eliminate any possible source of interference to see if it is causing any problems. I would do this two ways;
1. tune your car radio to 530 or 540 KHz and drive past the house and listen for buzzing and note if the buzzing changes while you drive. If you hear buzzing, that is power line noise and might vary depending on the humidity and/if it has rained recently. Power line noise is best cured by the power company.
2. turn off every circuit in your house except the one for you TV set. Next unplug everything else on that circuit except for the TV and the preamp power supply. If the reception improves, turn things back on one at a time until you find the bad one.
Once you have eliminated interference, the next step gets you to improving the signal strength of the signal. Your idea of a second antenna might do the trick, but before you go that far, you can try moving the existing around to see if you can find an optimum spot. Here in the Adirondacks I have seen low band antennas several feet off the ground in a side yard. The optimum location will vary on your terrain. The goal is to find a height that uses the ground in front of the antenna to reflect the signal upwards toward the hill that is blocking the signal.

Reactions: david_jr
The two low band VHF signals appear to be strong enough to be received, but interference usually takes more signal margin than UHF.
Step one is to eliminate any possible source of interference to see if it is causing any problems. I would do this two ways;
1. tune your car radio to 530 or 540 KHz and drive past the house and listen for buzzing and note if the buzzing changes while you drive. If you hear buzzing, that is power line noise and might vary depending on the humidity and/if it has rained recently. Power line noise is best cured by the power company.
2. turn off every circuit in your house except the one for you TV set. Next unplug everything else on that circuit except for the TV and the preamp power supply. If the reception improves, turn things back on one at a time until you find the bad one.
Once you have eliminated interference, the next step gets you to improving the signal strength of the signal. Your idea of a second antenna might do the trick, but before you go that far, you can try moving the existing around to see if you can find an optimum spot. Here in the Adirondacks I have seen low band antennas several feet off the ground in a side yard. The optimum location will vary on your terrain. The goal is to find a height that uses the ground in front of the antenna to reflect the signal upwards toward the hill that is blocking the signal.
Thanks, that is helpful. I'll try some of those suggestions.

Thanks djbrian. I guess I will be able to re-aim my 8200 at Jiminy Peak to pick up the channel 5 translator. That is the only channel I'm not getting right now with my 3 antenna setup. I do get the UHF version from Albany, but there are a lot of dropouts. The Jiminy translator is a mile from my house and line of sight. When Channel 13 moves there won't be much left on VHF.

Reactions: Tower Guy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)