Multiple Hopper 3's?

I just had two Hopper 3's installed by DISH. The approved of having two and in fact suggested it (I have 8TV's). They worked great until a few days ago when evidently due to a software release they had some problems that they are working on. But yes, they now approve of having two Hopper 3's on one account. I had to buy the second one, but it was much cheaper to buy them myself rather than from them.

I just had two Hopper 3's installed by DISH. The approved of having two and in fact suggested it (I have 8TV's). They worked great until a few days ago when evidently due to a software release they had some problems that they are working on. But yes, they now approve of having two Hopper 3's on one account. I had to buy the second one, but it was much cheaper to buy them myself rather than from them.

Gee you think you got enough tuners to record crap?

When Dish makes it easy to get 2 H3s, I will get it done. It is not to record more shows. The 2nd H3 would allow me to have have PIP and Multiview at a 2nd 4K TV. It would give me a 2nd 2 TB hard drive usable by Dish anywhere and can have folders. Too bad Dish Anywhere cannot see a H3's EHDs. If I got a 2nd H3 , I would move shows from my EHDs to the 2nd H3 to have them accessible by Dish Anywhere.

H3's aren't desired so much for the extra tuners.. 16 is plenty but its the HDD space. They really should have added a larger HDD when making these.
But in any event they should allow you to lease both vs having to purchase one but if you were to purchase one cheapest I've seen is around $220 unless someone knows places that are lower.

H3's aren't desired so much for the extra tuners.. 16 is plenty but its the HDD space. They really should have added a larger HDD when making these.
But in any event they should allow you to lease both vs having to purchase one but if you were to purchase one cheapest I've seen is around $220 unless someone knows places that are lower.
For the common user 1.25 TB is plenty. That will hold a ton of programming. If you need more than that you have the opportunity to add your own external hard drive.

Reactions: charlesrshell
For the common user 1.25 TB is plenty. That will hold a ton of programming. If you need more than that you have the opportunity to add your own external hard drive.
Yes, I found his comment to be ironic, since his screen name is also the name of a line of external hard drives. (DVR Expander)

Yes, I found his comment to be ironic, since his screen name is also the name of a line of external hard drives. (DVR Expander)

Maybe they could come up with a way to add a drive to the Hopper like the OTA module on the vip series. They could make it work in a raid array so it would basically add to the internal storage. That way it can work with dish anywhere and seamlessly integrate with the default experience. It seems using external drives at this time is more of a headache than it’s worth. Just because someone likes recording a lot of stuff doesn’t mean their tech savvy enough to move recordings around and go through the sometimes lengthy process to get something to play off the external drive.

Reactions: pattykay
No, I like the fact that the external hard drive is attached to your account instead of the receiver. When you replace or upgrade your receiver you still retain your recordings. My external hard drives have archived content from VIP622 receivers, then Hopper with sling, and now Hopper3 receivers.

The external hard drives were accessible with Dish Anywhere when they were connected to the VIP622 receivers. The Hopper receivers running the new carbon interface don't allow the external hard drive to be accessed by Dish Anywhere. I am sure that Dish could fix this but I wonder if they did this on purpose to satisfy their content providers. I suspect that the content providers don't like Dish Anywhere.

No, I like the fact that the external hard drive is attached to your account instead of the receiver. When you replace or upgrade your receiver you still retain your recordings. My external hard drives have archived content from VIP622 receivers, then Hopper with sling, and now Hopper3 receivers.

The external hard drives were accessible with Dish Anywhere when they were connected to the VIP622 receivers. The Hopper receivers running the new carbon interface don't allow the external hard drive to be accessed by Dish Anywhere. I am sure that Dish could fix this but I wonder if they did this on purpose to satisfy their content providers. I suspect that the content providers don't like Dish Anywhere.

And they can keep supporting those as well but to make it easier for customers who just want more capacity on the DVR this would be a simple solution. I also think the OTA module should be built in.

Beat me. Lowest I seen is $230

Just found this:

IMG_0030.jpg

Dish could fix this by allowing customers to have both a ViP DVR and a Hopper active on the account at the same time. Then, you could just move your external hard drive to the ViP DVR before using Dish Anywhere.

Dish could fix this by allowing customers to have both a ViP DVR and a Hopper active on the account at the same time. Then, you could just move your external hard drive to the ViP DVR before using Dish Anywhere.
or you could just ttansfer back to the Hopper what you'd like to see over DishAnywhere....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)