Multiple OTA's

Turd Fergeson

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
River Falls, Al
I am putting up a new tower at my home. Going for around for 100 ft. I want to put up multiple yagi antenna and bring thru some sort of combiner and into the house on a single wire. The reason I want to do this is I am so far away from any tower in my area that I get a weak signal for HD on a multi-directional antenna. But I do get an ok signal with a yagi and rotor. I want to do away with the rotor because of the cost of replacement (Lightning has gotten two already) and time to move the rotor. I don't know if this is possible or if the is any type of combiner like that but any help will be great.

Last edited:
Turd Fergeson said:
I am putting up a new tower at my home. Going for around for 100 ft. I want to put up multiple yagi antenna and bring thru some sort of combiner and into the house on a single wire. The reason I want to do this is I am so far away from any tower in my area that I get a weak signal for HD on a multi-directional antenna. But I do get an ok signal with a yagi and rotor. I want to do away with the rotor because of the cost of replacement (Lightning has gotten two already) and time to move the rotor. I don't know if this is possible or if the is any type of combiner like that but any help will be great.

Yes, it can be done. Post your zip code so that we know what you are trying to receive.

Turd Fergeson said:
My zip is 36476. The channels I am trying to pick up are in Montgomery, Al. They don't show up on antenna web but they can be picked up in this area.

You are right, antennaweb shows very little reception from Montgomery, AL.

Go instead to : http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp
Enter Lattitude 31.3 Longitude -86.5 Range 90 miles
Scroll down to the antenna patterns and see how much power is aimed at you.

WDIQ-DT is closest, running 1 KW on channel 11.
WSFA-DT is at 600 KW on channel 14 but the antenna is aimed away from you.
WTVY-DT is running 97.7 KW on channel 36
WAKA-DT is running 736 KW on channel 55, the channel 38 listing may be their final channel selection for 2009.

You'll need the biggest and best antennas.

Lets say you get a VHF antenna for WDIQ, Antennacraft Y10-7-13. Add a Channel Master 4228 aimed at 36 degrees for WSFA. Use a second 4228 at 357 degrees for WAKA. Use a dual input preamp such as a Channel Master 7777. Add the two 4228's together with a jointenna tuned for channel 14.
http://www.warrenelectronics.com/Antennas/joiners.htm

My 4228 is on a 120' tower. I use 3/4" hardline to feed it. I can't use a preamp because I'm only 7 miles from the Albany transmitters. I've tried to get WTVH-DT in Syracuse, but I get a LPTV station from 47 miles away. (That's without a preamp.)

Last edited:
Since you are in a white area (difficult to receive signal), you might find it cheaper to go with satellite and either get Montgomery locals or national locals... just a thought.

KBJR-TV (Channel 6) and WDSE-TV (Channel 8)
carries Digital Subchannels in the Duluth/Superior
Market:

KBJR 6-2: "NORTHLAND 9"
KBJR 6-3: NBC Weather Plus
WDSE 8-2: PBS
WDSE 8-3: PBS
WDSE 8-4: PBS

Do you think DIRECTV HD Subscribers will get those subchannels
on a DIRECTV H20 Receiver with an HDTV Antenna?

Last edited:
How about putting up those two antennas but routing them to a remote switch instead? You would eliminate the need for the rotor and you would get better results from a single antenna pointed in one direction rather than two antennas pointed in two directions joined together.

Should be. I don't know a lot about the waiver process personally, but from what I've heard, if you are outside of the "Grade B" reception area, wavers are nearly automatic.

Turd Fergeson said:
A couple of people have made comments about me being in a "white area" How is this determined and is that a path to a hd wavier?

You probably will be in an HD white area for all except WDIQ. HD white areas have not yet been defined by Congress. Even if you were able to prove that you are in a HD white area your satellite company is not required to deliver HD service even though the law allows it.

In some cases HD signal testing may be allowed in a few months, but in smaller 100+ markets the year will be 2007. Stations that are in the top 100 markets but will move channels in 2009 are not required to accept digital testing until mid 2007.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)