multiple receiver install help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobbo

Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Hi there,

I've got a 'wide' dish with 3 LNBs. On the dish is a box (multiplexer?) that results in 4 lines that come out to potentially 4 different receivers.

I've got a DirecTivo box that uses 2 of the lines since it has 2 tuners. I have a second receiver that uses the third feed. I have one unused line left over.

I recently aquired another DirecTivo box. Since it has two tuners and I only have one line available, I'm wondering the following....

Do I need to swap out the main box that takes the 3 LNB to 4 lines for a unit that does 3x5 (or 3x whatever), OR can I simply add another box to the current configuration, kind of in daisy-chain fashion, that does like 2x4 to two of the lines to give me the extra feeds...

Hope that makes sense. So basically, can I add on these splitter boxes to each other, or do i have to swap out the main box for more ports....

Thanks!

Just get any D* 5x8 switch & reroute the 4 lines from the LNB's to the new switch. Since you can easily bypass the existing switch on the dish, you won't even need a special "cascadable" switch.

How does the picture quality compare between using a switch vs. installing another dish?

I've read some opinions to use a switch that has the capability of being powered. This sounds to me like the signal is being diluted hence the need for being powered.

The majority of "powered" switches (unless they are commercial or VERY expensive) is ONLY for purposes of powering the LNB's, in instances where the receivers &/or dish are a long way from the switch - they do NOT do any actual amplication of the LNB signal(s) themselves. As long as they are decent quality, signal strength shouldn't be an issue - hence installing another dish in this instance won't make ANY difference in pic quality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hughes HTL-HD picture ?

Cheap Wireless Phone Jacks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)