Hughes HTL-HD picture ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

methodtical15

Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Hey Guys,
I gotta quick question, I am a recent subscrber to D* with the HD package. I have the Hughes HTL-HD hooked with via DVI to a Sony KD-34XBR960. As far the HD picture quality is, it is phenemonal, but as for SD picture quality, it is dark and not as sharp. I have tried using that different output setting on the receiver (variable 1, 1080i, 480i) but picture is still the same. I also have DirecTivo hooked via composite to the same T.V and the SD picture is brighter and sharper than the Hughes. Should I use component cables to the T.V. and does the Hughes output simultaneously eg.- DVI and composite to T.V. Thanks in advance for all your help!

The HTL-HD will not output simultaneously the DVI and component. There's a little switch to choose between the two.

Personally, I would use the EZ-DVI setting, which allows the receiver to output the native format over DVI instead of sticking to one setting. That way standard definition is output in 480i, HD is 720p/1080i, etc. I have a Sony GWIII and this helped tremendously for me.

does the option in the menu on the Hughes for "DVI level" expanded or standard make a difference. what is this for anyways?

Is there an EZ-DVI option on the 30" Sony KV30HS420? I'm about to purchase this TV (lost the battle with the wife over getting a 46" RPTV) and would like to know what all I can do with this.

Neutron,
The EZ-DVI is on the HTL-HD, not the Sony. It will only work with DVI connections obviously, but the HTL-HD has a setting called EZ-DVI (through the Format button) that allows the receiver to output things in their native resolution. This is automatic via this setting, so you don't have to keep changing the format depending on what you are watching. It will display EZ-DVI on the front of the box when you run through Format and hit that setting.

Ahh, gotcha. I had never heard it called that before. I have mine set to native format though I believe the new TV will upconvert everything to 1080i.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)