Multiple-Receiver Installation Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shazam

Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a triple LNB dish already with 3 lines of the four connected and running into my house(in hindsight I should have had them connect all 4!). My question is this. 2 of the lines are being run directly into my directv tivo dvr(dual tuner) and 1 line is currently being used by a second standard directv receiver. I am attempting to add 1 reciever(with the capability for 2 potentially) without having to run addtional lines from my dish. My question is can I buy some type of multi-switch to use in my basement to split the individual cable so I can add additional receivers or do I need to undergo the time and expense of running an additional line from my dish. Also, if I want to add an additional tivo would I need to run the fourth line from the LNB to have 2 Tivos and 1 standard receiver total in my home. Many thanks in advance to any who can advise me on my cable-splitting needs!

Shazam, welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

You will need a cascadable multiswitch, most are, and all that means is it will work with other multiswitches, including the built in one on the dish. I would recommend a 4X8 or if you want to pipe in an over the air antenna a 5X8. You will need to hook all 4 lines from the dish to this switch. There's no other way around that. :( Then you just hook up your receivers to the side with 8 outputs.

You will also need to account for a short cable that will run from the power adapter (one end plugs into your wall outlet and the other has a coax port) to the power in on your new multiswitch.

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions please feel free to post them here!! Again welcome!!

Neutron,
I appreciate all the help. So, if I understand correctly I need to run the 4th cable from my triple LNB dish into my basement and then attach all 4 to a 4x8 switch. I have (hopefully) only a couple of follow on questions:

1) Do I need to run a cable from an off-air antenna SEPARATELY all the way to my basement(for a 5x8 switch) or can I set up some type of diplexer near my dish/antenna outside and put another diplexer inside?
2) Is it impossible to use a 4x8 switch with only 3 lines coming into it?(i.e use the lines that are already run down into my basement?).

My biggesst problem is my basement is now finished and it will be a real pain to get the cable down there at this point(opposite side of a LONG house!).

Thanks again for your help, I hope I am reasonably clear in my questioning as I am far from an expert(as you can tell...)

Not a problem. That's what we're here for. :)

I don't think the diplexor BEFORE the multiswitch will work. Obviously it will work afterwards. :)

You have to have all 4 lines out of the dish or you won't get the 110 and 119 satellites to come in properly.

Can you place the multiswitch near the dish to eliminate all the cable runs to your basement? The multiswitch can be placed outside. That's where mine is now. :)

I could do that but then wouldn't I still have to run a fourth cable down to my additional receiver or could I then split one of the existing 3 cables that are alredy in the utility room in my basement. Does that make any sense? Right now I have 3 cables from my dish to a utility room and from there cables are run to all of the rooms in the house(I have a home director hub in my basement). 2 cable are being used by 1 tivo dvr now and 1 for the other receiver.

You would still have to run another cable. :( The only way to do that without running another cable is to get a stacker/destacker system, and that is expensive. I believe the stacker alone is $199.

Thanks guys...I will let you know how it goes. Appreciate the information.

shazam said:
Thanks guys...I will let you know how it goes. Appreciate the information.
Run the fourth line from the dish to the multi switch if You get one, then from one of the outputs of the multiswitch to the new location, OR run a line from the fourth output from the LNB to the new location, keep in mind ANY future additions will require a multiswitch after that & You can't run a DVR with only one line, so I would recomend a 4X8 or 5X8 as per Your needs.

You can run the DTivo on one line just fine, you just won't be able to watch or record something else while something is recording.

one line tivo

Neutron said:
You can run the DTivo on one line just fine, you just won't be able to watch or record something else while something is recording.
Doesnt that defeat the whole idea of tivo? I would think so. Just My opinon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Installation Advice

What is "spot beam"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts