Multiple Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ugfest

Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I have an 18" dish with a single LNB with dual outputs. I have 2 receivers connected right now. What exactly do I need to do the following:

1. Add another receiver
and possibly but not required
2. Receive HD

Thanks

For just an additional receiver: add an external multi-switch and the new receiver.

For HD and up to 4 tuners: add the 5 LNB dish and HD capable receiver.

For HD and tuners 5 and up; add the 5 LNB dish, a HD capable receiver and an external multi-switch.

WELCOME!

Whatever you do, if you want HD you will be much cheaper to have Directv install and give you the receiver. The regular HD is free, the HD-DVR is $99 for most customers in your situation. For some it is $99 for HD, and $199 for HD-DVR. This will be a new 2 year contract.

Call 800-directv and see what options they can offer you.

If you want just another SD receiver, it is either free or $49 depending on your situation, and will add 1 year to the contract.

If you purchase a receiver and install yourself, you might have to get the multiswitch like charper mentioned above.

WELCOME to the site!

I told my Dad that I need a switch in order to add another receiver and he insisted that all I needed was a splitter. I don't think that is correct.

Why not a splitter? Well, there are two polarities (odd transponders and even transponders) available from the LNB. These are selected by use of a voltage sent to the LNB by the receiver (13v = odd, 18v = even). If you connected two receivers via a splitter, then one of the receivers wouldn't be able to tune one set of the transponders. A multiswitch solves this problem by locking each LNB on a dual LNB dish to one of the polarities. Then, when a connected receiver requests a polarity, the multiswitch connects to the LNB that is locked onto that polarity.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)