Multiple Satellites at same orbital slot

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

scrooloose

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Quick question. What's the advantage of having multiple satellites at the same orbital position (other than redundancy)? Can a Satellite receiver distinguish the different satellites or do they appear as one (i.e. one set of transponders)?

-Mike

I split off G11 / NimQ so that I would remember to scan only 12,200 and below on G11. You'd also want to scan the NimQs with your circular LNB if you have that option.

The 3rd thing I'd scan at the same position would be the c-band side ;).

scrooloose said:
Quick question. What's the advantage of having multiple satellites at the same orbital position (other than redundancy)? Can a Satellite receiver distinguish the different satellites or do they appear as one (i.e. one set of transponders)?

-Mike

In some cases the satellites are a fraction of a degree apart. Your small home dish can't tell the difference, but very large uplink dishes can be used to aim at only one of the satellites. In other cases the smaller size of the early satellites could not handle as many transponders as today's behemoths, so two were used instead of one.

Co-Lo birds have different payloads in most cases....If you find a Co-Lo with the same payload, it would be a transfer....just like what was experienced with G15...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)