multiple show recording question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

velore

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
if you have 3 things set to record at the same time, i know the system will use the priority to record the highest 2 shows. will the dvr later record a rerun of the show that did not record?

It should if you have it set to both versus first run.

It will with just first run as well since it didn't record the first showing. I have this happen all the time. I have 4 things scheduled at once Tuesdays at 9pm. Top 2 record while the bottom 2 pick up later showings at night. All 4 set to first run only.

I always order "one time" shows first (i.e. networks like NBC or Fox) and cable shows last that have multiple showings during the week vs. my *favorite* shows higher. I learned that long ago on my first stand alone Tivo's.

Works exactly the same on Tivo or non-Tivo based DVRs.

Good to know Scott. I dont have much conflicts since I have 4 DVR's and during the Fall I organize a schedule grid on my white board and spread out the recordings on the DVR's. Since I have them all in the basement with multi-room viewing, it doesnt matter which unit gets the recording. I do put my wife's recordings more on the HD Tivo and the kids on the Vista Media Center. Ah I love the grid. 2 more months and it goes back on the white board.

Good to know Scott. I dont have much conflicts since I have 4 DVR's and during the Fall I organize a schedule grid on my white board and spread out the recordings on the DVR's. Since I have them all in the basement with multi-room viewing, it doesnt matter which unit gets the recording. I do put my wife's recordings more on the HD Tivo and the kids on the Vista Media Center. Ah I love the grid. 2 more months and it goes back on the white board.
I'm surprised you don't have an Excel worksheet set up for this. :)

Actually a database with cross tab. Nice web site overlap using Telerik .net rad objects. :)

@party And we have a winner! The newest Geek of the Week!:clap :bow

Can't really criticize as I do the Excel sheet for all of our recordings. It gets updated 2-3x per year. It is also quite handy in case of complete harddrive failure so you can easily "remember" what was set to record and simply reenter the info in the order you want. Hardly miss a beat using this technique. Of course you would have lost all your recorded shows, but sh*t happens.

And my ex-wife thought I was crazy by taking the weekly tv guide and circling the shows I wanted to watch throughout the week. :)

Harpoon How do you setup multi-room viewing? Is this on your direct TV DVR?

Harpoon How do you setup multi-room viewing? Is this on your direct TV DVR?

I do this by centralizing my units in the house and having the video/audio distributed to other rooms. Its made possible by a component and HDMI switcher. I have both because I have a mixed component HDTV and HDMI/DVI Tv's. With a remote extender and the right cable in another room, I can watch my HR20 in 5 different places not including a slingbox.

Now it cant do HDMI in 2 rooms simultaneous on the same receiver and it does occupy the receiver when watching, but its a great way to watch one DVR, pause it, go to bed, watch the remainder of the show. One person in another room watches the other DVR (HR10-250 for my wife). It also works great for each person in the house has their own tailored DVR and recordings. Let me know if you want more details but here is my setup.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/living-edge/101519-whats-your-setup.html#post957928

:welcome to Sat Guys BTW.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wiring question for HD-DVR + International programming

Need help deciding on a 6x16 multiswitch please!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)