Multiswitch & 95 (Galaxy 3) Satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fluffybear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 18, 2005
International Falls, MN
Does anyone know of a way to split the signal from Galaxy 3 (95) to 2 different Multiswitches?

The typical splitters which one would use with KU band do not appear to work. Does anyone know if it is possible to feed a 5th cable (already running 4 from the first to feed the inputs for the core satellites) to Flexport 1 of the second?

Does anyone know of a way to split the signal from Galaxy 3 (95) to 2 different Multiswitches?

The typical splitters which one would use with KU band do not appear to work. Does anyone know if it is possible to feed a 5th cable (already running 4 from the first to feed the inputs for the core satellites) to Flexport 1 of the second?

I am not sure why you would need to do this. I assume your "first" multiswitch is a Zinwell 6x8? If you are trying to get 95 available on more than eight outputs I would expect you to be able to stack a 4x8 powered multiswitch under the zinwell using four cables to the powered multiswitch and that would give you twelve outputs all of which would be capable of carrying 95. I am not sure why this would not work, although I may be wrong....

No, I think that won't work because the "lower" 6x8 (the one not connected to the dish) is switching the signal to the flexport which is not connected. I am suggesting if you use a regular "old" multiswitch such as a 4x8 in the lower position then it should work (no guarantees, I haven't read of anyone doing this, so you might want to get a powered multiswitch from somewhere with a good return policy)). Also FYI the 6x8 multiswitches should not be stacked because they are unpowered. You should make sure the lower multiswitch you use is a powered 4x8 (or 5x8) to ensure the satellite selection voltages/frequencies make it to the LNBs reliably.

I have a old 4x8 (Channel Master) laying around in the basement so I can give it a try but I'm not that confident about it working.
Worst case is either we live with the 95 signal not going to some (which is fine by me) or we expand to one of the new 6X16's..

Texas do you know if this configuration (6x8 + 4x8) would support HD receivers? I assume 4 lines coming off 6x8 will support HD receivers but other 8 lines coming from 4x8 only can support regular receivers. Am I right?

It will support the MPEG-4 HD receivers today (I have an H20 connected to the output of my Terk BMS-58 with no problem) but will probably not work when the new satellites DirecTV 10 and 11 start transmitting in 2007, these will transmit Ka-lo signals and the old multiswitches are not designed to pass this. So it's best avoided.

It will support the MPEG-4 HD receivers today (I have an H20 connected to the output of my Terk BMS-58 with no problem) but will probably not work when the new satellites DirecTV 10 and 11 start transmitting in 2007, these will transmit Ka-lo signals and the old multiswitches are not designed to pass this. So it's best avoided.

So we dont get any programs or channels in Ka band? Why do we need to install 6x8 switches?

So we dont get any programs or channels in Ka band? Why do we need to install 6x8 switches?

Because DirecTV does not want to have to go back and retrofit new multiswitches for everyone when the two new satellites do start transmitting, apart from having to deal with all the people who complain their systems won't get the new HD channels. It is much easier to install the new multiswitch along with the new dish/receivers now....

just get a wb16 zinwell 6x16 multiswitch from ebay, no complications and easy to install. It's $200 on ebay, if you willing to spent the money.

Thanks Texas. Now I have few questions about multiswitches.
1. Can you stack say 3x4 switch under 6x8 or 4x8?
2. Can you put 3x4 on two lines from triple sat dish? I've seen it couple of times and it seemed to work just fine.
3. Tech piggyback 3x4 two or even three switches under one another without a problem. Now you are saying that non powered switches shouldnt be stacked. Are 3x4 different than 6x8?

just get a wb16 zinwell 6x16 multiswitch from ebay, no complications and easy to install. It's $200 on ebay, if you willing to spent the money.

I probably will get a 6x16 (just for the hell of it) but that won't solve the problem because of the way the house is configured.

There is a multi-switch located on each floor of the house which controls the TV's on that floor. If everything in the house was running from a single MS, It wouldn't be the problem.

Thanks Texas. Now I have few questions about multiswitches.
1. Can you stack say 3x4 switch under 6x8 or 4x8?
2. Can you put 3x4 on two lines from triple sat dish? I've seen it couple of times and it seemed to work just fine.
3. Tech piggyback 3x4 two or even three switches under one another without a problem. Now you are saying that non powered switches shouldnt be stacked. Are 3x4 different than 6x8?

If you take two lines from a 6x8 then you can connect them to a 2/3x4 multiswitch but the receivers connected will only be able to see the 101 satellite. If you take two lines from a triple sat dish same thing applies, only the 101.
Stacking unpowered multiswitches is not recommended under any circumstances, it's not just the 6x8. The receivers have to drive the switching voltage through all the multiswitches to the dish and if you have long cable runs the voltage drop through the switches and the cables can reduce the voltage below the level at which the LNBs can switch to the correct set of transponders, particularly if only one receiver is requesting those transponders. If you don't have long cable runs then it may work for you but it just isn't reliable.

I probably will get a 6x16 (just for the hell of it) but that won't solve the problem because of the way the house is configured.

There is a multi-switch located on each floor of the house which controls the TV's on that floor. If everything in the house was running from a single MS, It wouldn't be the problem.

So did you try using the powered multiswitch stacked below the Zinwell??

If you take two lines from a 6x8 then you can connect them to a 2/3x4 multiswitch but the receivers connected will only be able to see the 101 satellite. If you take two lines from a triple sat dish same thing applies, only the 101.
Stacking unpowered multiswitches is not recommended under any circumstances, it's not just the 6x8. The receivers have to drive the switching voltage through all the multiswitches to the dish and if you have long cable runs the voltage drop through the switches and the cables can reduce the voltage below the level at which the LNBs can switch to the correct set of transponders, particularly if only one receiver is requesting those transponders. If you don't have long cable runs then it may work for you but it just isn't reliable.

How come 4x8 multiswitch is powered and 6x8 non powered what is different inside? 6x8 is supposed to support more sophisticated equipment how did they make it non powered? There are often time long runs and 8 lines connected wouldnt it affect the voltage ?

How come 4x8 multiswitch is powered and 6x8 non powered what is different inside? 6x8 is supposed to support more sophisticated equipment how did they make it non powered? There are often time long runs and 8 lines connected wouldnt it affect the voltage ?

Making the Zinwell WB68 6x8 unpowered was a mistake. The only difference between powered and unpowered multiswitches is that the powered ones generate their own voltage/frequency signalling and do not rely on passing the voltages coming from the receiver. There are many reports of people having problems with the WB68, one way of fixing it is to add a Sonora power locker to the lines between the multiswitch and the dish. This in effect makes the multiswitch a powered one, because it puts the four different voltage/frequency combinations necessary for selecting the correct bank of transponders on the SAT A and SAT B/C satellites permanently onto the four lines to the 3-lnb/5-lnb dish instead of making the receivers do all the work.
There are both unpowered and powered 4x8 multiswitches for the 3-lnb dishes but most people seem to have moved to the powered ones, less likelihood of problems.
The new WB616 switches from Terk and Zinwell are powered...

Have you tried a Superdish 105 FSS LNB before?

Has anyone used a Superdish 105 FSS LNB for the Directv 95W channels? I'm trying to save money since I was a former DISH subscriber in the past. I would like to use the Superdish 105 FSS LNB with the Directv D10 receiver. Is it possible to use the DP34 switch as well since it has 22Khz tone? Are they interchangeable? I would appreciate any opinions. :D

Your knowledge is out of reality :(:
- DP/DPP utilize DiSEqC protocol, not 22 KHz tone
- same for KuFSS LNBF from SD105 or SD121

Sell the Dish parts at eBay and buy DTV equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)