Multiswitch install conflict

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

seussatguy

Original poster
May 4, 2015
United States
So I was scheduled to have a new Genie and wireless Mini installed today, as part of a contract renewal and equipment upgrade that I had worked out with DirecTv recently. What ended up happening, though, is that the installer came out and after a bunch of questions and back and forth discussion, he left without doing the install. The problem was that he was insisting that a SWM16 multiswitch had to be installed, and I told him I definitely did not want that.

Cutting to the chase, I'm wondering if there is a way to get an install done where someone is going from a total of 7 tuners (my current setup, 3 HD DVRs and 1 non-DVR) to a total of 11 active tuners (Genie plus all previously mentioned receivers) without getting a SWM16 multiswitch as part of the install. I know this seems like an odd thing to want, but here's my rationale. I want to go all wireless, eventually, and I don't want a new multiswitch since it won't be needed. Also, the location of the multiswitch is in my very hot, crowded, and cramped attic, and it would be a huge ordeal to be able to get the install tech access to that portion of the attic. And since I am going all wireless (meaning I won't need any coax runs to non-primary receivers), the SWM16 would be entirely redundant. The only reason I am not going all wireless immediately is that I have roommates who want to watch a bunch of their recorded shows from the other HD DVRs before we deactivate them and switch over to wireless Minis.

Long story short, what I want is for the output of the SWM LNB to go directly from my dish, through my living room wall (4 coax lines are already doing this from my current LNB), and to the Genie. Then all other receivers eventually will be connected wirelessly. Until then, the secondary DVRs will be kept active just so my roommates and I can watch the backlog of recorded shows. Am I correct in assuming that there is no need for a SWM16 in this scenario?

And is there any way I can get an install like this accomplished by scheduling it with Directv? The install tech was adamant that he could not do it this way, even after I explained my rationale to him in great detail.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Details of my current setup:
KaKu LNB 5, Slimline Dish (4 lines out)
Three HR20 HD DVRs
One non-HD non-DVR receiver
6x8 multiswitch

Upgrading to:
SWM LNB
Genie
Wireless bridge
Wireless Genie Mini
Keeping the 3 HD DVRs until we can watch backlog of recorded shows
Then replacing each with a wireless Mini (possibly)

You are not going to get DirecTV to do this without installing an SWM16. But as satftafan says, if you get an SWM13 LNB and associated power inserter (from ebay, your tech won't have one) you can drive 13 tuners (with appropriate splitters).

You are not going to get DirecTV to do this without installing an SWM16. But as satftafan says, if you get an SWM13 LNB and associated power inserter (from ebay, your tech won't have one) you can drive 13 tuners (with appropriate splitters).

The thing is, though, I don't want or need a SWM16 (or SWM13) because I want to go all wireless for all the secondary receivers. The only receiver I want physically connected to a wire is the primary Genie. The rest I want to be wireless Minis, eventually. The only reason it seems like Directv has for insisting on the SWM16 is that they see I will have 11 tuners on my account, even though I've explained to the installer and the DTV customer service rep that I am only keeping the old DVRs active in order to watch previously recorded shows... not to watch or record any live TV. Maybe the situation is so unique or off-the-wall that their system can't account for it. If that's the case, I'll probably be forced to deactivate the old DVRs temporarily to get the number of tuners below 8, then maybe the install can get done without the SWM16.

Why don't you just let the tech do his job and get you upgrade installed?

The SWM 16 makes absolutely no difference if your using 5 tuners for just a genie or 11 tuners with all the DVR's

Yes it gets hot, but so what. I got a hotel with 7 of them connected in series running roughly 113 televisions with zero issues. A matter of fact I got a few hundred out there. Zero issues on all the ones installed indoors.

You will need to deactivate the other DVR's first before the tech will install just a SWM LNB. They will not install a smaller switch on the promise you will deactivate other receivers later because If you change your mind and decide to use the other receivers the tech is getting hit with a trouble call.

The SWM 13 is a no go unless your in one of those special markets. Your welcome to buy one on ebay, but will be on your own to install and configure it yourself.

The genie is great, but why are you trying to downgrade yourself with using the wireless mini's ?? My advice is to add the genie and keep as many HD/DVR's on your account as possible.

You do realize the mini's run like garbage ?

I got one now I really need to swap for another hr24

Some people have too much information with which they know not to do....
The worst kind of customer is one who "knows just enough to be dangerous"..
Or "does not know enough to know that they do not know"...

if you let the tech install the swm 16, then when you no longer need it you can sell it on ebay? the *only* way it might work is if you switch all three HD-DVR's to single tuner mode and completely drop the SD box. but good luck with getting a tech to go for that since you already have the 4 lines run for the switch.

if you let the tech install the swm 16, then when you no longer need it you can sell it on ebay? the *only* way it might work is if you switch all three HD-DVR's to single tuner mode and completely drop the SD box. but good luck with getting a tech to go for that since you already have the 4 lines run for the switch.

That's a good point.

The only issue is a SWM 16 new sells for around $40-$50 on eBay.

They cost me $150 from Directv.

I have not bought a SWM 16 from Directv in years.

If it was me, I would let the tech install a SWM 16 and if I didn't like it, go on ebay and buy the switch I wanted

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)