MultiSwitch Setup

My first multi switch was a Zinwell, and while it worked, it would do flaky stuff at times. Seemed like bleed over to me from another port. I tried a WNC 4x8 did the voltage mod and all has been fine for years now. I now have two spares that I have pickup up, but have never needed them. I run a Chaparral C-band ortho on the 10 footer, and the original Andrews feed with a ortho on the 1 meter. TBS 5927 on one PC, 5520 on another and a V8.

Reactions: armadillo_115
Neither switch is powered. The Atras 3x8 switch that is now working (mostly) has a port to add optional power... but it didn't come with the power injector.

I'm hoping the get the switching to work at the dish. I'd rather run 3 coaxes 170 ft than 5 or 6 @ 170 ft.
My Diseqc switches worked fine out there.

My WNC switch was out at the dish, and powered through a spare coax, and worked flawlessly. I still have the switch, I'm just not using it right now for a different setup. I would NEVER try to use an unpowered switch with a 170ft run. IMO, that's too far, and it's doubtful your receiver has enough current to run it that far all by itself.

Reactions: armadillo_115
Many to choose from, just make sure it comes with the power inserter.

Well that brings up another question.

I looked at the link for the WNC model above. It says:
"The AC/DC Module is designed for connection to the 4x8 Multi-Switch directly, or remotely via a commonly
available RG-6 cable, up to I 00 feet."
Would that powered switch work over 170 ft away at the dish?

No rush on an answer. I need to upgrade coax and connectors before I do anything else.

Well that brings up another question.

I looked at the link for the WNC model above. It says:
"The AC/DC Module is designed for connection to the 4x8 Multi-Switch directly, or remotely via a commonly
available RG-6 cable, up to I 00 feet."
Would that powered switch work over 170 ft away at the dish?

No rush on an answer. I need to upgrade coax and connectors before I do anything else.
It's more likely to work with it's own power inserter, than just trying to power it from the receiver alone. Don't forget your receiver also needs to power the lnbs at the same time, and any other diseqc or other switches you may have in line.

Update:
Another 190ft solid copper rg6 and 80ft of solid copper rg6 quad core arrived yesterday. Just picked up 400ft of 3/4 black poly pipe to use as cable protection. (Need at least another 100ft)
Compression connectors came in last week.
Waiting on cable connector tools to come in and for the weather to improve. I can handle the cold if necessary, but the wind has been howling as well. BRRRRRR.

The Atras 3x8 multi-switch has been working without incident so far.
Belated thanks to KE4EST! I won this multi-switch in a contest a while back.... and only now had a need for it. Do you have any more for sell, KE4EST?

Installed new C2PLL on my dish instead of the temp C1PLL. Replaced another coax. Replaced 4 older coax connectors out of caution.

Now have both C2PLL's hooked to the Zinwell 6x8. Signal levels slightly improved. But 6x8 still glitching.

Plan to replace Zinwell 6x8 with two 2x4 multi-switches tomorrow, which means adding two diseqc switches as well.

Are 1x2 diseqc switches less lossy than 1x4's? (I ask because I only have one 1x2, have several 1x4's?)

Thanks!

Folks, the reason I recommend the WNC switch is because it is not potted, easy to do the voltage mod on. Keep it close to your receivers, close to the house so your receiver can control it. it has plenty of power once it gets it's instructions to power the LNB's