multiswitch vs antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

goheelz

Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Cincinnati
Taking advantage of the free dvr offer, I had the installer out today to hookup my second dvr. I already had a directivo (with both tuners functional) plus two other recievers. I also have an OTA antenna set up that runs though a diplexor. This has allowed me to distribute the antenna through all 3 tvs without punching in wires for each.
the problem came when the installer put in a mltiswitch in the basement so the new tivo could run both tuners. This worked fine for the satellite, but I had no antenna anyware in the house. After convincing the installer that my antennna did not need to be re-pointed, I got him to remove the multiswitch. All antenna works again, but I would like to use the other tuner if possible. Is there an obvious solution to this (without running 3 antenna lines) to this problem? The installer left the 3x4 multiswitch if I changed my mind.

No, he did not touch the OTA coax. It is hooked in to a diplexor on the side of the house before it runs into the basement.

he didnt have to.

go outside, barrel over the antenna coax and run it to the new multiswitch ant port and all will work well.

I'm not sure what you mean by barrell over the coax. The way my system is set up, will every line to a reciever need to run to from a multiswitch? The diplexor is distributing the antenna now. I have 4 lines running into the house and the extra line I need to connect to is in the basement.

thanks for your help

I dont know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. What are multiswitches and diplexors? If someone could take some time to explain I would appreciate it greatly.

A multiswitch acts like an old fashion telephone switchboard. The receiver requests to be connected to a certain satellite/polarity combination. Either through relays (old models) or solid-state switches, the correct satellite's signal is routed to the receiver based on how the receiver signals the multiswitch.

By having each satellite/polarity combination available at the multiswitch, any receiver can receive any satellite polarity. Multiple receivers can use the same satellite/polarity, or they can use different ones as needed.

Diplexers (a form of multiplexer) work by using one cable to carry your satellite and outside antenna or cable signal on the same coax into your satellite receiver and TV set.

Why they do not list these 2 definitions in the SatelliteGuys glossary is beyond me.

Last edited:
So would I replace my existing diplexor with the 5x8 multiswitch? are they rated for external installations?
the installer only ran in two lines to the 4x3 multiswitch. Of course I should have realized there would be problems when he did not know how to use the tivo unit (he said he had installed lots of r15's).

thanks for the help

You put a 5x8 multiswitch in place where the installer wanted to put the 3x4, the 4 coax FROM the dish goes into 4 of the 5 inputs in the 5x8, and your outdoor antennae would plug into the port that is marked "Ant" (which is the remaining port of the 5 total ports).

So in theory if I had both cable and D*. I could have both the cable signal and the D* signal on the same coax, have it run to the same location and split the cable at the jack. Run one line to the D* receiver and one to the cable (comcast) receiver and I would be able to receive both signals without having to run a separate line for the cable signal?

Im thinking of cancelling the HD portion of my D* and purchasing the comcast feeds. Through comcast there is a way to get locals and all the HD channels for about $25.00 a month. If I cancel the HD package from D* its not much of a difference per month. This actually isnt an HD vs HDlite move. My reason is that INHD and INHD2 have the Sox, Celts, and Bruins and D* doesnt. But D* has the football package and comcast doesnt.

So if I could have the cable signal brought into the house throught the D* coaxials my life would be made easier.

Can this work?

boston area dtv said:
So in theory if I had both cable and D*. I could have both the cable signal and the D* signal on the same coax, have it run to the same location and split the cable at the jack. Run one line to the D* receiver and one to the cable (comcast) receiver and I would be able to receive both signals without having to run a separate line for the cable signal?

Im thinking of cancelling the HD portion of my D* and purchasing the comcast feeds. Through comcast there is a way to get locals and all the HD channels for about $25.00 a month. If I cancel the HD package from D* its not much of a difference per month. This actually isnt an HD vs HDlite move. My reason is that INHD and INHD2 have the Sox, Celts, and Bruins and D* doesnt. But D* has the football package and comcast doesnt.

So if I could have the cable signal brought into the house throught the D* coaxials my life would be made easier.

Can this work?

Yes, but keep in mind anytime you add more 'breaks' or devices, you will degrade signal strength.

But if you have comcast cable internet on that cable, it is my understanding there might be issues.

damaged said:
Yes, but keep in mind anytime you add more 'breaks' or devices, you will degrade signal strength.

But if you have comcast cable internet on that cable, it is my understanding there might be issues.

And ofcourse I have comcast internet! Just when I thought I had a way out they pull me back in! Hmm guess I will just run another line to the TV to where comcast already comes into the house and do it that way.

Thank you so much for your time and knowledge.

boston area dtv said:
And ofcourse I have comcast internet! Just when I thought I had a way out they pull me back in! Hmm guess I will just run another line to the TV to where comcast already comes into the house and do it that way.

Thank you so much for your time and knowledge.

You are welcome for my time, the knowlege however, comes from the other people on this board I have learned from, I am just relaying them to you.

Good luck.

dragon002 said:
damaged,

very well done. you missed one point that he said, he would diplex at the wall plates, not split.

Thanks for the word of encouragement dragon, I figured he meant diplex out when he said 'split' since his current setup already uses diplexing, the existing plates should be already set, so he would see that any new jacks would require the same setups, but, I guess I shouldn't assume. :)

boston area dtv said:

Can this work?
Your cable modem will not work thru duplexer , and also digital cable boxes will time out in approx 2 weeks . Because the FSK (frequency signal carrier) for digital cable boxes will not go thru the duplexer as well

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)