My 2 year contract is up! What to do?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

werry

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Hello!

I have had Dish (back when they had kungfu HD and Monsters HD), I have had Time Warner cable very briefly and for the last 2 years I have had DirecTV.

I go to whoever has the most HD channels.

Help me decide what to do:

1) Stay with DirecTV, Go to AT&T Universe, Go to Time Warner, Go to Dish Network.

Here are my criteria:

1) Who will have the most and best high qualtiy HD?

2) Who has the most free stuff/cheapest?

3) Who does not have a contract?

It seems like it makes sense to switch because I can get a new customer offer and all the freebies and cheap prices if I switch but if I stay with DTV then I get nothing free.

Also it seems DTV HAS NOT KEPT THEIR PROMISE TO BE THE HD LEADER EITHER IN QUALITY OR # OF CHANNELS.

I am out of the loop on what different providers offer. Can someone please help me decide what to buy and from where to maximize my HD and free stuff? Who is the HD leader now and for the forseable future??

If I stay with DTV will they give me free stuff like I was new?

Given that you're out of your commitment and HD is your main goal, you may want to wait till the new satellite is fully operational. You'll kick yourself if you jump ship and Directv end up opening up loads of HD channels - to go back you'd have to get into a new contract.

Also, Directv will likely be able to offer you some monthly incentive to stay.

Given that you're out of your commitment and HD is your main goal, you may want to wait till the new satellite is fully operational. You'll kick yourself if you jump ship and Directv end up opening up loads of HD channels - to go back you'd have to get into a new contract.

Also, Directv will likely be able to offer you some monthly incentive to stay.

Totally agree!!! I mean, my contract is up too, but It would be highly stupid to leave now before the new HD channels launch!! plus, Dish Network's PQ is horrible and TW Cable doesnt have NFL Network....there is no FiOS in my area or I may consider that, but D* has alot going in their direction right now, just be patient!
or see what fits you and your family best!

The other thing to think about is how many HD receivers or HD/DVR's you need. If you only need one or two, you can probably get them free or close to free. If you need more than that, it might cost you, and you already have them with DirecTV.

What I would do if I were you is call Dish and AT&T and see what they can do for you. Then decide. DirecTV will give you some incentives to stay, but don't expect miracles....don't forget to mention the lack of VS as a reason to switch....

Thanks for the replies and info, I have no idea what providers offer now so this helps.

You said FIOS but I can't get FIOS, we do have AT&T Universe, is that what you mean?

Also what is "lack of VS"?

Also what new satellite and what new HD channels?

Is there not a consensus on who is best between Time Warner, AT&T, DTV, and Dish for HD quality and channels?

Also I don't like contracts because I feel DTV lied to me about being the HD leader.

Who has the Voom channels now? (Kung Fu etc.?)

VS is Versus.....sports....hockey, college football, cycling, etc. DirecTV has been in a contract dispute with them for months. Dish has them still, DirecTV still does not.

D12 is DirecTV's newest satellite that was launched in late December. It should be fully functional sometime in April.....expect more HD channels, more HD locals, and more HD pay per view.

I would say Dish has the most HD channels currently. But it goes back and forth, DirecTV will probably pass them up when D12 is online, but it won't be by much.....

Voom is basically dead at least in the US. Dish quit carrying their channels a while ago.

if youre out of a contract, doesnt mean they will expire your programming. if you quit now, and do come back to Directv, you will be drawn back into the 2 year contract. staying where you are, would given you the option to see how the additional HD from D-12 satellite, and see what channels are there...

give up now and then decide to go back, youre drawn back into a contract, AND keep this in mind, deals are usually for first time directv buyers.. since youre a directv past customer, you'll have a hard time getting a good deal. stick with it.

Thanks for the replies and info, I have no idea what providers offer now so this helps.

You said FIOS but I can't get FIOS, we do have AT&T Universe, is that what you mean?

Also what is "lack of VS"?

Also what new satellite and what new HD channels?

Is there not a consensus on who is best between Time Warner, AT&T, DTV, and Dish for HD quality and channels?

Also I don't like contracts because I feel DTV lied to me about being the HD leader.

Who has the Voom channels now? (Kung Fu etc.?)

Personally,
I would go with the one that has the CHANNELS you want and watch in HD.
This numbers of HD channels doesn't mean a hill of beans if they are channels you wouldn't watch anyways.

Directv just launched a new satellite about 2 months ago, end of last year and should be up and running by April I would guess, lot of testing has to be done by the ones that sent it up there as well as Directv before it can be operational.
There has been talk of up to 200 HD channels after it's working.
What new HD channels is unknown as D* is not releasing that info yet.
Last time they announced the upcomimg HD channels, people bitched that it was taking too long ...... like they could do it quicker.
There is a list floating around of channels that many think will be there, put it's only a partial list.

VS = Versus

Is there a BEST as you were asking ...... thats up to the individual and what you need.

D* lied to you ? How's that, they told you they were the HD leader ?
That can change daily depending on who may be launching channels next.
Any provider that is launching something new that other don't have is a GOOD thing, because that means that the other providers will be trying to keep up, doesn't mean it will happen next week, ya gotta have patience.

Back in '07 I think it was, D* came out and turned on a huge amount of HD channels all within a few months, every Wednesday fro a while.

IF you don't want to be in a contract, stick with your cable company, some don't require them others do.

As far a Voom goes, I don't think anyone does ...... someone can chime in and correct me if they are out there, but I don't think so.

if youre out of a contract, doesnt mean they will expire your programming. if you quit now, and do come back to Directv, you will be drawn back into the 2 year contract. staying where you are, would given you the option to see how the additional HD from D-12 satellite, and see what channels are there...

give up now and then decide to go back, youre drawn back into a contract, AND keep this in mind, deals are usually for first time directv buyers.. since youre a directv past customer, you'll have a hard time getting a good deal. stick with it.

All GOOD points SDdtvtech :up

So I am about to call and CANCEL.

I waited a month for this "new satellite" to come online and a few channels were added in HD, on 2/10/2010 I beleive?

This is very very SPARSE.

DirecTV is the HD FOLLOWER, the HD LOSER.

Can someone tell me who has the most HD channels?

U-verse by AT&T
Time Warner Cable
Dish Network

Or some convincing reason why I should give DirecTV one more second to keep their promise of being the HD leader?

If you were expecting D12 to come online in a month you were expecting too much. Papers filed with the FCC would indicate that it will be closed to late April/early May before we start seeing any new channels from D12.

Ultimately you need to take a look at what program you watch and see what provider offers you that programming for the best price.

That is one of the only ways to decide. A satellite provider is worthless if they dont have the channels you want to watch. :)

I'm in the same boat right now ... am hanging on until I know what's coming from D12 .... Dish will once again have a small advantage on price ... (They keep offering the new customer deals if I will come back) ... however they don't have GolTv .. a big one for me ... but they do have HRTV ... another big one ... swings and roundabouts ...

I prefer Directv customer service and equipment is an even call for me - both have things the other does not offer ....

If they both offer the programming i watch (minus one or two channels each) with equipment that is comparable .. then i must chose based on price .....

I'm quite happy to go where the deals are and if that means switching out every Two years - that's what I'll do ... times are tough ... $300 in discounts over the course of a couple of years of a contract can buy me a package upgrade .... it's only Tv - but I want the biggest bang for my buck ...

:)

I'm sitting tight to see if Directv comes up with something that makes me stick around ... if not - it'll be another switch out real soon.

since dtv12 began testing 2/13, i'm still anticipating the first new hd to go live in early to mid april. everything has been ahead of sked which leads me to my conclusion. i believe dtv did the same thing with dtv11 which went live in august instead of september because they were ahead of sked.

I would think that you would be more interesting in what programming you watch then the amount of HD channels example if directv has all the channels you watch in HD then u stay.
If someone else has a channel u watch in HD then go for them

Remember whom ever has the most HD channels today may not have the most in the future.
Good luck

I agree with the following posts, you should go with what entertains you. Though you may want to see what new HD is when they launch the new HD, sounds like from the posts I read maybe April??

So I am about to call and CANCEL.

I waited a month for this "new satellite" to come online and a few channels were added in HD, on 2/10/2010 I beleive?

This is very very SPARSE.

DirecTV is the HD FOLLOWER, the HD LOSER.

Can someone tell me who has the most HD channels?

U-verse by AT&T
Time Warner Cable
Dish Network

Or some convincing reason why I should give DirecTV one more second to keep their promise of being the HD leader?

If your desire truly is to always be with the "HD Leader" then you'll be flip flopping through all providers and never be happy.

It's like asking who has the best cars, TV's, etc, etc. There is no right answer except in the mind of the person offering the opinion.

And as long as I'm responding, I'd stick with D*. Why? They offer what I'm looking for.

Do they have everything? No. They don't have Travel Channel HD, BBCA-HD, or FMC-HD.

Then again, my car can't park itself either.

Its obviouse your not happy, So switch providers. If I was this I rate about it,and I was under no contracts, I would start looking at U verse,Fios Dish Network websites, untill I found what I was looking for.
I wouldn't just come to satellite guys and wait for members to give you a complete channel line up of all these companys.:rolleyes:
Looking around never hurts.

And personally I don't care what D* or anyother provider promises for HD in the future, If they don't have what I want now, then bye bye.:up

There seems to be a lot of us with this conundrum. My contract with D* is up end of March. For me:

Disadvantages of leaving D* -- No more MLB Network, GOL TV and UEFA channels

Advantages of switching to E* -- Add additional TV hooked to satellite (4 sted 3), add DVR capacity on all TVs (only 2 now), add many more HD channels (at least for now), engage a dynamite local provider that guarantees their work for a lifetime, and . . . save $25 or so per month on comparable programming, even after promotional period ends.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)