My 811 is trying to start an Anti-Dish revolt!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
That's right. You heard it hear first. I believe that my 811 has started a revolt on its own. Here are the specifics!

First my humble story. I was the first person in my area to get an 811--so says my installer. In fact, I had to hook it up--he had no idea how to. The date was a week before Christmas. Hooray--what a Christmas present!! HD here I come!! I had no problems with the Menu as there were four hours like the other Dish standard receivers and I did not know that the DVI had a dark video out problem because I had been using S-VHS hook-ups untill I got the new 811. However, when hooking up the 811 I immeadiately noticed that I could hardly watch SD channels so I called Dish and they immeadiately sent out a new one.

Guess what? The second one did the same as the first. Another call and Dish stated that they knew there was a problem and that they were working on a software upgrade? Hey, how was I to know that something evil was lurking just around the corner!

The 49% bug started rearing its head just after the first download. At first I thought--hey maybe they fixed the menu and messed up the OTA reception a little. Now that I think of it -- just what did that first download fix? Well, we will call Dish again and maybe the next download will fix that. :)

The second download showed up and gave us the 2 day menu. Hooray!! Wait--wait a minute!!!!! NOW I start getting the "Waiting for satellite to download" prompt when I want to change channels from OTA to something else. Well, now I turn to my trusted resource --TA DA!! --SatelliteGuys.US forums!! I learn from my fellow breatheran that there indeed is something fowl afoot!! Everyone seems to be having the same problems. I feel somewhat relieved to not be alone with this anxiety and believe that maybe--MAYBE-- Dish's next download will fix the problem (S)? :yes

Third download shows up and HOORAY-- the 49% bug seems to have been halved if not irradicated. BUT WAIT!!
Whats that--whats happening??? OH NO--PLEASE NOT THAT- :eek: -!!!! The menu has now reverted to TWO HOURS!!!! Are we kidding!!! TWO HOURS---heck I can't even watch tv if I don't know what I can watch in two hours. Now the loading satellite menu is showing up when I turn on the receiver AND after changing from OTA. Only the last resort--thats right-- 'DA RESET' is now required for further viewing! Boy there must be something sinister going on here--or could it be just old fashion incompetance!! :confused:

Well, I have finally figured it out guys. IT IS NOT DISH!!!!
Charlie and boys seem to be at the whim of a revolt by our 811s!! Thats right--and how did I come to this conclusion you ask?? :rolleyes:

NOW in the last 2 weeks my 811's 49% OTA problem has returned with a vengance. And when it does lock on to a signal if it is below 75% you might get a lock and nothing else!! No picture no voice! The menu can DISAPPEAR right before your eyes--that's right NO MENU!!! None at all--only a reset can restore and than an hour later it will disappear again. Speaking of the dreaded "loading menu screen or finding satellite screen"-- these prompts now come up when changing from SD channels too!! The componet out has stopped working!!! I can only view HD with my DVI now. And when the menu is giving me my two hours I have to reload the menu most times to go forward!! As far as the darkeness issue -- seems to depend on the day and time--heck who knows?? :shocked

Surely you can see what is happening. It is not Charlie's boys and it is not us. The problem is the sinister 811s!! I am telling you--they are trying to start a revolution!!! You just wait and see--they might have been brainwashed or payed off by Rupert's Gang!!! Of course there is always the next download? :smug

ps--DISCLAMER--I do not intend to infer that I have any knowledge of an 811 plan of to revolt against Dishnetwork nor their subscribers. Nor do I have any insider knowledge of a evil plot by Rupert's Space Raiders to invade the internal workings of our 811s to created confusion and disharmony within our ranks. Caution--this message will self destruct as soon as an 811 that works correctly shows up on planet Earth! :D

LMAO!!! Funny stuff! Nice synopsis of the various download fixes/regressions. Very disturbing though, as I just received a new 811, and demonstrates all the bugs you've mentioned :mad: .

Sadly, I felt a $400 UHF antenna install in my attic would alleviate some of the 49% problems... alas, they are worse than ever, even WITH 80-90% signal strength reported :rolleyes: .

Latest trick I learned is to hit the info button on OTA channels just before the "lost signal" menu appears... keep tapping it every 2 seconds or so. This allows the 811 enough time to lock on the channel (assuming you have decent signal strength).

Trying to keep an open mind. I know how a software program can jump thru hoops when you do not get it right the first time. I have been using Microsoft for a long time! :) I just hope Dish can either correct the 811s shortcommings or replace the unit with one that works!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts