My 921 died today!!

John Corn

John Corn

Thread Starter
The Coach / Supporter
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
1,244
19
North Canton, Ohio.
Woke up this morning and turned on the 921 and got the "acquire sat signal screen"
Ran a check switch, signal was on input 2 and nothing on 1.
Swapped the cables, the samething happened, no signal on input 1, once again input 2 had a signal.
After that, now I can't even get any screen to come up.
Went and got my 811, its dead on these inputs with no signal.
My 501 has no signal thats upstairs in my kids room, seemed the Dish is out of align.

I put on a new DP 34 switch.......still nothing
Put on a new LNB........still nothing

Hooked my original DP 34 up and put the old LNB back on, now I have a signal again. Retweaked my dish, everything is working now.

It almost seems to me somehow my 921 screwed my switch/LNB's
to where I lost my signal. After them setting unhooked and hooking them back up, they were fine.

My 921 is still dead, I have good signal strength now and my 501 and 811 are working. I'm getting a good signal off the 2 leads my 921 were hooked to, I tested them with my 811.

I find it hard to believe my Dish lost alignment, we had no winds, the day before, the CSR and I went over my signal strengths on different transponders when I activated it.

Dish is RAing me another 921.....I'm probably their fist one.
 
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
100,693
20,246
Newington, CT
The 921 screwed up my SW 34 switch as well (I posted this when I first got my 921)

The fix for it was to unplug everything from the sw34 then plug in the 921 to port 1 and 2 and run check switch again. After that everything worked well (and I plugged my 721 into ports 3 and 4)

Welcome to the Beta Team. :D
 
Foxbat

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
17,220
9,743
Michiana
Wow, I just ordered the DishPro "upgrade package" (new DP Dual and DP single LNBfs + DP34 switch) from Scott to prepare for a 921 and now I read this.

Okay, so note to self: Run the two cables to the Family Room to ports 1 & 2 on the DP34.

Any other gotchas?
 
M

Mainstreet

Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Oct 4, 2003
281
0
Texas
John Corn said:
Woke up this morning and turned on the 921 and got the "acquire sat signal screen"
Ran a check switch, signal was on input 2 and nothing on 1.
Swapped the cables, the samething happened, no signal on input 1, once again input 2 had a signal.
After that, now I can't even get any screen to come up.
Went and got my 811, its dead on these inputs with no signal.
My 501 has no signal thats upstairs in my kids room, seemed the Dish is out of align.

I put on a new DP 34 switch.......still nothing
Put on a new LNB........still nothing

Hooked my original DP 34 up and put the old LNB back on, now I have a signal again. Retweaked my dish, everything is working now.

It almost seems to me somehow my 921 screwed my switch/LNB's
to where I lost my signal. After them setting unhooked and hooking them back up, they were fine.

My 921 is still dead, I have good signal strength now and my 501 and 811 are working. I'm getting a good signal off the 2 leads my 921 were hooked to, I tested them with my 811.

I find it hard to believe my Dish lost alignment, we had no winds, the day before, the CSR and I went over my signal strengths on different transponders when I activated it.

Dish is RAing me another 921.....I'm probably their fist one.

Bummer!!!

I bet you're glad you didn't do as Tahoerob did and open it up!

It's a good thing DISH has a 921 to send out to you, and it's a new enough product you won't be getting a refurb back.
 
John Corn

John Corn

Thread Starter
The Coach / Supporter
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
1,244
19
North Canton, Ohio.
Mainstreet said:
John Corn said:
Woke up this morning and turned on the 921 and got the "acquire sat signal screen"
Ran a check switch, signal was on input 2 and nothing on 1.
Swapped the cables, the samething happened, no signal on input 1, once again input 2 had a signal.
After that, now I can't even get any screen to come up.
Went and got my 811, its dead on these inputs with no signal.
My 501 has no signal thats upstairs in my kids room, seemed the Dish is out of align.

I put on a new DP 34 switch.......still nothing
Put on a new LNB........still nothing

Hooked my original DP 34 up and put the old LNB back on, now I have a signal again. Retweaked my dish, everything is working now.

It almost seems to me somehow my 921 screwed my switch/LNB's
to where I lost my signal. After them setting unhooked and hooking them back up, they were fine.

My 921 is still dead, I have good signal strength now and my 501 and 811 are working. I'm getting a good signal off the 2 leads my 921 were hooked to, I tested them with my 811.

I find it hard to believe my Dish lost alignment, we had no winds, the day before, the CSR and I went over my signal strengths on different transponders when I activated it.

Dish is RAing me another 921.....I'm probably their fist one.

Bummer!!!

I bet you're glad you didn't do as Tahoerob did and open it up!

It's a good thing DISH has a 921 to send out to you, and it's a new enough product you won't be getting a refurb back.

I thought the samething Justin, I wonder if they will open the box and take out there cables and remote or just send me a new one?
 
J

jcord51

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 29, 2003
63
0
Thanks for the heads up. In anticipation of receiving my 921 I pre ran another line from my 64 switch and read that the power inserter must be on line one, I wanted to see if the signal was there after attaching the new cable to line two. I decided to stop because if I attached the new (cable 2) to the receiver I would not be able to plug-in the power inserter into that cable . BTW I have a 508. At least now I know to attach cable 1&2 into the 921 (with power inserter to cable 1). The 508 will be connected via cable 3, to another location. Is this correct? Sorry John...
 
M

Matt_Stevens

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 5, 2003
110
0
OK, I have a legacy setup. 64 Switch with one of those older power inserters on the line that goes to my 6000 receiver.

My 6000 will be pulled from my living room setup when I get the 921. I was going to take the cables for the 6000 & my older 5000 and use them for the 921.

What do I do with the power inserter? In my bedroom I will likely have the 6000 receiver, if I sell my 510 that is.
 
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
100,693
20,246
Newington, CT
Just make sure that the power inserter goes to reciever port 1 on the sw-64 switch.
 
S

sparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
178
0
Cedar Springs, MI
When I had my 721 replaced they only sent the receiver and you kept your remote and cables and such.

John Corn said:
I thought the samething Justin, I wonder if they will open the box and take out there cables and remote or just send me a new one?
 
John Corn

John Corn

Thread Starter
The Coach / Supporter
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
1,244
19
North Canton, Ohio.
Just got my replacement 921 and I'm now downloading the software.

As I suspected Dish sent me a brand new one, it came with cables and remote.
 
M

Mainstreet

Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Oct 4, 2003
281
0
Texas
John Corn said:
it came with cables and remote.

That's a first!

I'm glad you got it. Hopefully this one will last longer!

Justin

(Vegas, here I come!)
 
M

Matt_Stevens

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 5, 2003
110
0
Scott, if I no longer have the 6000 and have a 921, do I still use that power inserter? Just making sure I understand.
 
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
100,693
20,246
Newington, CT
Matt_Stevens said:
Scott, if I no longer have the 6000 and have a 921, do I still use that power inserter? Just making sure I understand.

No you don't use it anymore, that power inserter was because the 6000 did not support the DishPro Voltage requirements.

The 921 is a DishPro / DishPro Plus receiver
 
murf

murf

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 4, 2003
46
0
Scott, I think he has a sw64, so he will still have to use the power inserter.
 
Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
100,693
20,246
Newington, CT
Ahh ok I was thinking a DishPro adapter.

If its a DishPro adapter the answer is NO
And if its a SW64 the answer is YES.

:D
 
M

Matt_Stevens

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 5, 2003
110
0
I have an SW64 switch. So looks like I am keeping it. I am actually keeping my 6000 receiver. I'm one of th lucky few who has never had any problems with the 6000. It may be slow, but it works and I don't experince bugs. So I'd be a fool to sell it.

I'll keep Line 1 from the SW64 with power inserter hooked up to the 6000, if I understand this correctly.
 

Similar threads

John Corn
Replies
16
Views
3K
TheForce
TheForce
Scott Greczkowski
Replies
14
Views
2K
Scott Greczkowski
Scott Greczkowski
9
Replies
12
Views
3K
Mark_AR
Mark_AR
Paradox-SJ
Replies
28
Views
3K
gutter
G
J
Replies
6
Views
1K
dfergie
dfergie
Top