My 921 died today!!

John Corn

The Coach / Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
North Canton, Ohio.
Woke up this morning and turned on the 921 and got the "acquire sat signal screen"
Ran a check switch, signal was on input 2 and nothing on 1.
Swapped the cables, the samething happened, no signal on input 1, once again input 2 had a signal.
After that, now I can't even get any screen to come up.
Went and got my 811, its dead on these inputs with no signal.
My 501 has no signal thats upstairs in my kids room, seemed the Dish is out of align.

I put on a new DP 34 switch.......still nothing
Put on a new LNB........still nothing

Hooked my original DP 34 up and put the old LNB back on, now I have a signal again. Retweaked my dish, everything is working now.

It almost seems to me somehow my 921 screwed my switch/LNB's
to where I lost my signal. After them setting unhooked and hooking them back up, they were fine.

My 921 is still dead, I have good signal strength now and my 501 and 811 are working. I'm getting a good signal off the 2 leads my 921 were hooked to, I tested them with my 811.

I find it hard to believe my Dish lost alignment, we had no winds, the day before, the CSR and I went over my signal strengths on different transponders when I activated it.

Dish is RAing me another 921.....I'm probably their fist one.

The 921 screwed up my SW 34 switch as well (I posted this when I first got my 921)

The fix for it was to unplug everything from the sw34 then plug in the 921 to port 1 and 2 and run check switch again. After that everything worked well (and I plugged my 721 into ports 3 and 4)

Welcome to the Beta Team. :D

Wow, I just ordered the DishPro "upgrade package" (new DP Dual and DP single LNBfs + DP34 switch) from Scott to prepare for a 921 and now I read this.

Okay, so note to self: Run the two cables to the Family Room to ports 1 & 2 on the DP34.

Any other gotchas?

John Corn said:
Woke up this morning and turned on the 921 and got the "acquire sat signal screen"
Swapped the cables, the samething happened, no signal on input 1, once again input 2 had a signal.
My 501 has no signal thats upstairs in my kids room, seemed the Dish is out of align.

Hooked my original DP 34 up and put the old LNB back on, now I have a signal again. Retweaked my dish, everything is working now.

to where I lost my signal. After them setting unhooked and hooking them back up, they were fine.

My 921 is still dead, I have good signal strength now and my 501 and 811 are working. I'm getting a good signal off the 2 leads my 921 were hooked to, I tested them with my 811.

I find it hard to believe my Dish lost alignment, we had no winds, the day before, the CSR and I went over my signal strengths on different transponders when I activated it.

Bummer!!!

I bet you're glad you didn't do as Tahoerob did and open it up!

It's a good thing DISH has a 921 to send out to you, and it's a new enough product you won't be getting a refurb back.

Mainstreet said:
John Corn said:

Bummer!!!

I bet you're glad you didn't do as Tahoerob did and open it up!

It's a good thing DISH has a 921 to send out to you, and it's a new enough product you won't be getting a refurb back.

I thought the samething Justin, I wonder if they will open the box and take out there cables and remote or just send me a new one?

Thanks for the heads up. In anticipation of receiving my 921 I pre ran another line from my 64 switch and read that the power inserter must be on line one, I wanted to see if the signal was there after attaching the new cable to line two. I decided to stop because if I attached the new (cable 2) to the receiver I would not be able to plug-in the power inserter into that cable . BTW I have a 508. At least now I know to attach cable 1&2 into the 921 (with power inserter to cable 1). The 508 will be connected via cable 3, to another location. Is this correct? Sorry John...

OK, I have a legacy setup. 64 Switch with one of those older power inserters on the line that goes to my 6000 receiver.

My 6000 will be pulled from my living room setup when I get the 921. I was going to take the cables for the 6000 & my older 5000 and use them for the 921.

What do I do with the power inserter? In my bedroom I will likely have the 6000 receiver, if I sell my 510 that is.

When I had my 721 replaced they only sent the receiver and you kept your remote and cables and such.

John Corn said:
I thought the samething Justin, I wonder if they will open the box and take out there cables and remote or just send me a new one?

Just got my replacement 921 and I'm now downloading the software.

As I suspected Dish sent me a brand new one, it came with cables and remote.

Scott, if I no longer have the 6000 and have a 921, do I still use that power inserter? Just making sure I understand.

Matt_Stevens said:
Scott, if I no longer have the 6000 and have a 921, do I still use that power inserter? Just making sure I understand.

No you don't use it anymore, that power inserter was because the 6000 did not support the DishPro Voltage requirements.

The 921 is a DishPro / DishPro Plus receiver

I have an SW64 switch. So looks like I am keeping it. I am actually keeping my 6000 receiver. I'm one of th lucky few who has never had any problems with the 6000. It may be slow, but it works and I don't experince bugs. So I'd be a fool to sell it.

I'll keep Line 1 from the SW64 with power inserter hooked up to the 6000, if I understand this correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)