This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

My apt says I can't get DirecTV - must use Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryansebiz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I live in San Jose, CA and am currently paying for basic extended Comcast (with QAM).

My apartment has a deal with Dish Network. You can get the basic receiver with Top 250 programming for free. If you want DVR or HD you have to pay for your own account and equipment.

I was talking to my apartment managers today. I asked if "new people moving in" can choose DirecTV. They said a flat-out no. I asked why, and they said because they have "a deal with Dish Network" and "why would they want to pay for DirecTV when Dish is free"? I then asked "not even if they put the DirecTV dish on the back porch?" Again, they said no.

My question is: doesn't the FCC mandate that you can put a satellite dish as long as you don't mount it to the building?

If so, and I'd like to switch to DirecTV, should I tell my apartment owners, or should I just hope they don't find out? If I tell them what should I say?

By law, they cannot prevent you from getting DirecTV, but you are NOT permitted to mount your dish to the building in ANY way/shape/form, what-so-ever. You will have to get a tripod, and of course, the clear view to the DTV Sats. If they tell you otherwise, print this out, or find the other legal documents..

Dish or Direct - Satellite TV Rules for Apartments and Multi-Family Dwellings

I think it depends on your lease. If it says no dishes...well, you signed it. I am aware of the law, but I don't think you'd be successful if you took that route.

Thats not to say that if you have perfect line of sight, and can hide your dish below a fence line while still getting a signal, you shouldn't do it. But you may come home to a note on your door one day.

Good luck.

That part of the lease would be invalid if it were to be found in violation of the law.

By law, they cannot prevent you from getting DirecTV, but you are NOT permitted to mount your dish to the building in ANY way/shape/form, what-so-ever. You will have to get a tripod, and of course, the clear view to the DTV Sats.

Right. I live in a two-story townhome, with the ground floor patio and the top floor balcony both facing the southwest sky.

I was thinking of going the tripod route from the balcony if I made the switch.

The best thing to do is be upfront with management. Send a letter to them stating that you will be using a DirecTV dish mounted on a tripod. Along with the letter send a copy of the OTARD document linked above.

Be warned that you might not be able to drill any holes for the coax from the dish.

Right. I live in a two-story townhome, with the ground floor patio and the top floor balcony both facing the southwest sky.

I was thinking of going the tripod route from the balcony if I made the switch.

These things will also work through clear glass. Think dish inside your unit. Get your LOS from the DTV site.........find a dish & dead receiver to play with. If you get the 101 sat there will be a picture on ch100.

Make the mast "plumb" and set az & el for your zip.

Joe

You should be upfront with the apartment management. The one thing you don't want to do is anger them to much. You might be able to put the dish up but if you anger them in the process they can make your life miserable with hitting you will even the smallest violation in your lease.

Status
Please reply by conversation.