My C Band Dish is out of comission

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Around here that would be considered a light breeze :)
Around here, a strong breeze - but that could be night and/or day. Now, the usually halloween breeze was only 82+/- this year, but 100+ is not out of the question, 126MPH 2 years ago took off a roof and sent a primestar 90 feet before it dropped into a ditch. Only broke the bolts on the wall and the case of the Satelite AV lnbf!:D

I guess scott was one of the unlucky ones! Here in Ct we do not get alot of wide spread strong winds 60+ unless theres a very strong thunder storm,strong northeaster or a tropical system.Strongest wind i have recorded here last few years was around 60 mph.A very windy day or night here is ussally around 30 to 40 mph range.

30 and 40's (mph) is usually just another day. ( when the wind is calm,[under 20] it's SO NICE!) Gusts to the 60's is pretty common. Now, the blizzards can be a whole "Nother can 'o' worms" It's been recorded - ya just don't leave the house for 3-4 days. If it ain't firmly tied,bolted down, it's GONE!

Scott,

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a resident professional with C-Band equipment; but I would like to think that I'm fairly decent with fabrication and repair of various mechanical components.

I was studying that day time picture (that video is private and not viewable to non-friends), and I came up with something that might work for you.

I am inclined to believe that if you had a 1" wide strip of plate steel, you could easily bend it into a "U" shape to replace the threaded T-rod bolt.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• bracket.JPG
    bracket.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 101
Scott repairing that bolt is no biggie, just pull it and take the bolt to a local garage and have them heat it in a vice and straighten out I would think it'd be less than $15 to fix it.

If
you could easily bend it into a "U" shape
the winds around here will do it easily also. Especially winter/ spring. That's probably why, if it happened to me, I'd figure out some way to "BEEF IT UP". Just a(nother) thought, instead of just one bolt between the tubing/dish mount, I'd opt for 2.

Attachments

• BOLT.jpg
    BOLT.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 109
What is the diameter of that bent rod?

Regarding the question of whether there is a design problem, at first I thought yes. Now I am not totally sure it is... That depends on what the design criteria is.

Scott
I was cleaning out the garage and I found the elevation bolt from an old 5 footer I had...dont know if that would work or not

some pics (the rod is about a foot long)

Attachments

• PICT0070.JPG
    PICT0070.JPG
    852.7 KB · Views: 120
  • PICT0069.JPG
    PICT0069.JPG
    823 KB · Views: 105
Scott, Last year I had one of the welds break on the back of my 6 footer, during high winds...I got out the drill and bored a hole and put a bolt and nut on it...works fine...
You might double check everything that "T" shaped piece attaches too. Blind

Scott, guess I didn't look close enough but is your Dish up high, or on the Roof? Two years ago we had an F5 Tornado go thru a village 40 miles West of Winnipeg, the high winds here blew down my neighbour's fence and there was all kinds of tree debris on the ground on our lawns and streets. My 1.0 meter - 40 inch Dish was left completely bent in an upright position and nearly blew off the roof. It bent the shaft on my Stab Motor which I have since replaced, but I haven't used it since I got my Mesh Dish and mounted it on the ground at the back of my yard. If I had to do it again I would mount the 1 Meter Dish on a pole on the ground re potential wind damage.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts