my cancellation experience

And you didn't take the offer , why ?

One reason is that he has a $480 ETF to pay with an early DTV cancellation. Plus a $15 deactivation fee. Not sure if they charge for shipping back receivers like Dish does.

I got the same email but will stay with U Verse for now even though I don't have a contract. I got $250 in gift cards to switch to them but I have to stay at least 30 days. I might ask for the $700 offer in a few months, but not sure it will still be around. Not that I care that much.

Their sec filings say the cost of a acquiring a new subscriber is $800+ so $700 is not a bad deal from their viewpoint.

Exactly. When I quoted that number, all the Dishbots criticized me and said I didn't know what I was talking about. When you add the $35 x 12 discount it is actually a $1120 promotion. I guess if I were greedy I would go for it, but I feel an obligation to stay with Uverse for 12 months, even though I don't have to.

Their sec filings say the cost of a adquiring a new subscriber is $800+ so $700 is not a bad deal from their viewpoint.
$700 plus $35/mo for 12 months ($420), free HD for life (worth $10/mo forever), and free Showtime, Starz, Encore, and BB@H for 3 months (worth $135).

That's $1,255 plus $10/mo for HD.

$700 plus $35/mo for 12 months ($420), free HD for life (worth $10/mo forever), and free Showtime, Starz, Encore, and BB@H for 3 months (worth $135).

That's $1,255 plus $10/mo for HD.
Depending on how many they are doing that for, it could still remain profitable. I think they are aiming at the long term, rather than short term. They are not going to do anything that doesn't return a profit somehow.

Depending on how many they are doing that for, it could still remain profitable. I think they are aiming at the long term, rather than short term. They are not going to do anything that doesn't return a profit somehow.
Definitely. I'm sure they have a formula that has been worked out over the years.

Reactions: ChadT41
I've been a loyal Dish Customer since 1998 and all they ever send me is a coupon for $5 off on a PPV one about every other year. It goes in the trash. But, I did get a nice dividend on the Dish stock I owned a few years ago. Heck, I even walked up to Charlie Ergan at CES and thanked him. When Charlie left the helm, I sold the stock for some nice profits. What I made on the stock is paying for my Dish service. When JC took over he ended the dividend to stock holders which pissed me off so I sold the stock.

You guys get money from them for threatening to quit. We all do what we are capable of doing to get a break on our satellite bills which are out of whack too high. I wonder what a retention clerk would say if I told them I was quitting because Joe Clayton ended the dividend on the stock and my Dish bill was no longer covered.

It's not that I disagree, I think many of us see that as a great retention tool. The question is given the amount per subscriber DISH ends up with as profit, how much could they do that for everyone. Discounts during a dispute is a limited amount of time both in giving them and how long they last. Could they give continuous discounts for years? One way could be to not be so generous with new subscribers and rely more on the advertising of continuing discounts.
Years ago DISH used to charge per dvr receiver a dvr fee. IF you subbed to AEP , all your dvr fees were removed. This was an incentive to get subs to take the higher programming pack and it was a plus to all that had multiple dvrs on their account. I loved it back then. OF course now there is NO way I would ever sub to AEP AND pay the multiple assorted equipment fees that come with the Hopper . But the point was it was an incentive and a reward for the customer at the same time.

I would think that the cost of acquiring new subs would be a lot more than the credits off ,to keep remaining subs with DISH. Right now they are paying credits to me of over $35.00 a month between the Cnn($25.00 off) and Fo:mad: $10.00 off) disputes and I have free Premium movie channels for 3 months. So the $35.00 off pays for my equipment fees for at least 3 months and then discounts them the other 3. This was on two of my accounts. So obviously DISH thinks that they are better off with this arrangement than losing my 3 DISH accounts. I'm sure that is why they continue to pay subs who call in and threaten to cancel . A uniform promo that rewards all subs who stay with DISH would accomplish this same goal and I 'm sure that they can figure the cost ratio in to the formula. Retaining subs is much better than perpetually replacing them. DISH has been at 13 million to 14million subs for years now. Losing and replacing the same numbers and never getting any larger. This retention tool would more than pay for itself in the end.

Reactions: Stargazer
I guess a suit at dish finally decided to negoiate with departing subs. they must be bleeding.....

when left years ago after the jacked up extra receiver fees they didnt care..

I guess someone finally got the message.......

Directv cost of poaching subs must really high. I get constant phone calls and letters and e-mail spam from DirecTV begging me to switch. 2 letters a week. I have several of the DirecTV numbers on ignore but see them in the ignored recent call list. I guess Dish does the same thing to DirecTV customers. The one good thing about being a Dish Network customer is I don't get any of their spam. Just spam from DirecTv, Comcast, and AT&T.

I used to own all my sat receivers but finally did the numbers and since Dish would obsolete my owned receiver anyway, I decided to just pay the lease fee. It's all part of the package. Fortunately, I don't need nor want any stinking Hopper. My VIP 722K's with 4 tuners, EHD's and sling adapters do what I want. Happy.

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts