Am I crazy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sA :: Shaggy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
5701 S Santa Fe Dr
ok, these are just my personal thoughts on the info i have and actions dish has been doing.

Great news with the aug 15th mpeg4 conversion with voom and external hdd for the 622/722 (only). How many of you think they couldn't actually make external support for the 942? I highly doubt this is the case, i think it was all part of dishes plan. For what you ask? more money (maybe), to be the leader in the mpeg4 race (mm dont think so). If i had to take one guess, its to deal with the hacking issue.

think about it this way. you convert all HD to mpeg4, this makes it so u have to send in all old 921/942 boxes that otherwise could have been hacked into and made to receive free tv. To get the discounts on a new receiver or to be able to view HD programming. (i bring this up because dish has told all techs to send in all old receivers with 102/103 cards to dish that way they could out fit them with new chips (206) and re-release them into installs).

Then lets say that wasn't enough incentive to convert, dish then refuses to external HDDs to the 921/942 and covers it up an incompatibility issue (haha funny).

Now i must say that i have NOO issue with dish killing hackers, im just saying the way they are going at it and forcing people to pay hundreds of dollars and sending in their owned receivers to get new leased hardware( even tho a lot of people are completely happy with what they have now) is just stupid in my opinion.

For everyone else prepare for a card swap to everyone else. if you fallow dishs record they give people w/ HD the newest encryption then it trickles down to the normal customers. THis is great im glad that dish is doing this. hacking has gotten out of control and is costing us money.

Also dish quit being stupid u want to cut down on costs. Quit making 3 recievers that can do the same thing. we now have the

722 622 222 211 411 625 322 311

wow. let us shrink this 722 is the same as the 622 quit making new receivers to do the same thing. stick with one. we dont need a receiver with a bigger hdd especially if we are getting external support

the 222? why? i have heard nothing but issues w/ this reciever and its just another 211 +311 ok well then let us just say they get it to work. use this for all 322 installs (that way its all mpeg4 and u dont have to upgrade in the future)

411 was made before dish made up their minds
211 is now a great receiver let us replace it will the 222 cuz they can.

625 should be the only mpeg2 dvr used in installs no 5XX just put it into single mode issue fixed but u should be using the 622 so its in mpeg4

322 same as 625, it should take over all 311+ 322 installs but just use the 222 u need mpeg4 anyway

i have cut the list down to the 622 for all dvr installs and the 222 for all non dvr installs. this cuts down on all costs across the board and they all have the new 206 chips so they arnt hacked PERFECT FIX.

these might just be words of a very tired man. but they make sense to me.

oh and thank you dish for the great 9yrs of service hope you make good business plans and stay up and running. but please dont screw us cuz u cant keep your stuff secure.

its_a_conspiracy.jpg

I see Dish abandoning MPEG2 within 2-3 years. Everyone gets a ViP receiver and if you want HD you pay a "Technology" fee monthly for that perk. All Dish will be MPEG4, HD is just another service at a certain level.

I answered all of the above.

External Hard Drive support wasn't pursued for the 942 because it's a dead platform. MPEG4 is the future of DBS, and there's no point in developing features for MPEG2 hardware.

They should drop the HD charge, cable offers the HD for free you just have to lease the HD boxes, and sub to the correct package that includes the SD counter part.

They should drop the HD charge, cable offers the HD for free you just have to lease the HD boxes, and sub to the correct package that includes the SD counter part.

Maybe for your cable company, but not true for all. Have to sub to a $9.95 HD pack to get any HD channels other than ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX or PBS with Mediacom.

Certainly not here...the local monopoly forces you to buy every possible package (except for premiums) before you get the privilege of adding the HD package for another additional fee. Free? thats funny. this cable company never heard that word before.

Why spend time and money supporting an obsolete platform thats known for having a folder full of issues and that people are going to be trading in anyways to go with mpeg4? Your not crazy its just that your not seeing what would be a bad idea, its like spending money on adding an oil cooler to a car engine that has 400k miles on it and wont go faster than 35mph.

Another thing to consider is that even though dish may still be installing some receivers does not mean that they are still producing them. When I started working for dish in 2000 they still had receivers in stock that hadnt been produced in over a year but instead of just pitching them to the trash it is was better for them to atleast get them off a shelf and into a home. When the 508 / 510 came out the 501 line had stopped production but there were still thousands of these receivers sitting in warehouses that were still functional and could be used so instead of tossing them into the trash wich ultimately is a lot of money they made them available and they went to homes. Even if a customer only has a receiver for a year and then upgrades to a new one the loss for upgrading is minimal at best and the customer is still with dish instead of going to another provider wich is a loss of income.

ok, these are just my personal thoughts on the info i have and actions dish has been doing.

Great news with the aug 15th mpeg4 conversion with voom and external hdd for the 622/722 (only). How many of you think they couldn't actually make external support for the 942? I highly doubt this is the case, i think it was all part of dishes plan. For what you ask? more money (maybe), to be the leader in the mpeg4 race (mm dont think so). If i had to take one guess, its to deal with the hacking issue.

think about it this way. you convert all HD to mpeg4, this makes it so u have to send in all old 921/942 boxes that otherwise could have been hacked into and made to receive free tv. To get the discounts on a new receiver or to be able to view HD programming. (i bring this up because dish has told all techs to send in all old receivers with 102/103 cards to dish that way they could out fit them with new chips (206) and re-release them into installs).

Then lets say that wasn't enough incentive to convert, dish then refuses to external HDDs to the 921/942 and covers it up an incompatibility issue (haha funny).

Now i must say that i have NOO issue with dish killing hackers, im just saying the way they are going at it and forcing people to pay hundreds of dollars and sending in their owned receivers to get new leased hardware( even tho a lot of people are completely happy with what they have now) is just stupid in my opinion.

For everyone else prepare for a card swap to everyone else. if you fallow dishs record they give people w/ HD the newest encryption then it trickles down to the normal customers. THis is great im glad that dish is doing this. hacking has gotten out of control and is costing us money.

Also dish quit being stupid u want to cut down on costs. Quit making 3 recievers that can do the same thing. we now have the

722 622 222 211 411 625 322 311

wow. let us shrink this 722 is the same as the 622 quit making new receivers to do the same thing. stick with one. we dont need a receiver with a bigger hdd especially if we are getting external support

the 222? why? i have heard nothing but issues w/ this reciever and its just another 211 +311 ok well then let us just say they get it to work. use this for all 322 installs (that way its all mpeg4 and u dont have to upgrade in the future)

411 was made before dish made up their minds
211 is now a great receiver let us replace it will the 222 cuz they can.

625 should be the only mpeg2 dvr used in installs no 5XX just put it into single mode issue fixed but u should be using the 622 so its in mpeg4

322 same as 625, it should take over all 311+ 322 installs but just use the 222 u need mpeg4 anyway

i have cut the list down to the 622 for all dvr installs and the 222 for all non dvr installs. this cuts down on all costs across the board and they all have the new 206 chips so they arnt hacked PERFECT FIX.

these might just be words of a very tired man. but they make sense to me.

oh and thank you dish for the great 9yrs of service hope you make good business plans and stay up and running. but please dont screw us cuz u cant keep your stuff secure.

You're tired?..I am tired now from reading that post.

"cable offers the HD for free you just have to lease the HD boxes"
They do?....The cost of the HD upgrade is buried in the fee charged for the HD boxes.

No they dont, what crack are you smoking to think that cable is going to give you any channels for free? I've looked and comcast, charter, timewarner and wide open west all charge for hd service.

No they dont, what crack are you smoking to think that cable is going to give you any channels for free? I've looked and comcast, charter, timewarner and wide open west all charge for hd service.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Medi...And Services/documents/WF FINAL-071607-SV.pdf

My local cable offers local in HD plus discovery hdt, tnt, espn and fox sw if you subscribe to the basic analog service. You have to have a qam tuner in your TV to get these free channels, or pay for a box.
I have tuned them in with my QAM TV, they are not scrambled.

They charge xtra for MOJO, HD Net/movies, and Universal HD

In the future yes... I can see HD channels being embedded in the different packages with out the fee. After dish or what ever other provider hits about 70% HD saturation it would make more $$$ to bump up everyones monthly bill and just include it. Then instead of paying for HD you would just not getting all you paying for if all you have is SD

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Medi...And Services/documents/WF FINAL-071607-SV.pdf

My local cable offers local in HD plus discovery hdt, tnt, espn and fox sw if you subscribe to the basic analog service. You have to have a qam tuner in your TV to get these free channels, or pay for a box.

ok...that's the same thing when a drive in movie theatre has a free admission policy but charges 10 bucks for parking...In any wevent the HD programing is not FREE...If you have to pay something to get something there is no "free"...Free means NO money changes hands..Like when your neighbor loans you a shovel..If you didn't pay him any money, it's a free loaner..Or when someone comps you a round of golf...That's free.....In this case the customer must pay for the HD box to get the so calleed "free" HD channels...As soon as mney changes hands, "free" goes out the window..

You prooved my point actually, call them up and ask them about getting just the locals on the basic basic package and that you want them in hd and see what they tell you. Your locals arent free wether on DBS or cable specialy in HD and any other channel isnt going to be free wether analog, digital, or HD, its like if you activate playboy espanol on any of the dish latino packages, they activate it for free but your still getting charged for it wether you have it or not.

My point was if you have a TV that can tune in HD cable channels using QAM, you can get HD channels without paying more, without renting a box, etc. This is something you cannot do on Dish. Yes you have to have a basic cable subscription, and yes I am sure the cable company has the price of this billed out to everyone.

This would be the equivalent to Dish not charging the HD enabling fee if you did not want to sub to the HD package, and gave you your locals and the HD version of the channels you subed in SD like HBO, SHO, ESPN, TNT, A&E, etc. Actually you can probably still get HBO/SHO for free if you own a 811/6000 where you do not have to pay the enabling fee.

Dish is making you buy ALL the HD to get any HD, even the HD that really should be included in the basic package because the provider does not charge separate for the HD version of the channel.

Dish now makes you pay the enabling fee to get the OTA channels with the VIP receivers. If you are paying the $$ for the HD receivers up front they at least should let you get the OTA channels.

The only thing I would get through Mediacom QAM without subbing to an HD pack would be the main networks(ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC). All others are encrypted and require the $9.95 package.

You make some very good point. No, you're not crazy per se...but you are raging lunatic if you think E* is going to do something other than what is in the best interest of its shareholders. Offhand, I think the continued watering-down of DishHD is going to wind up biting them in the ass and costing them more money in the long run. Also, I do not see DishHD-Lite quanlity improving for at least another year. They are in a HD race with D* to shovel as much sh*t as their transponders will handle. If this means extremely soft PQ...so be it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)