My DirecTV... How does it decide?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Nite

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
So I finally forced the new HD guide and have generally be happy with it. As someone who had an R10 DirecTivo back in the day (back in the day being until last year... I was slow to switch over to the HD DVR), one of the things I really missed when I lost the tivo was the suggestions, so I was interested to see how the "My DirecTV: What's on now & You might like" stacked up. So far I've been unimpressed with it, though, which lead me to wonder how it decided.

I know the Tivo used the whole thumbs up/thumbs down thing to compute suggestions, but I haven't been able to find any information about how the new My DTV chooses what to show. Is it just based on what's in your series manager/recording list? Or is there some other metric going on behind the scenes? I've searched around online and on DTV's web site, but haven't seen any information about it.

Does anyone know?

it goes more based on the channels you have tuned to. On a weekend all the boxes fill up with sports programming from ESPN's, FSN, Big10 because well thats all I watch

during the week it changes totally for me :)

I took the new GUI Sat night. "My Direvtv" is still showing the check back later message. How long does it take the feature to populate?

IIRC, it is a composite of what all Internet connected HD DVRs are watching.

yeah OK...whatever

Its based on what the receiver has been on. That is why as of right now I have 2 different sets of "my Directv" listings on the 2 DVR's :)

yeah its always interesting. I watch Price is Right everyday and it gives me a "show you might like" of Ellen or Dr Phil...just because its on the same channel

yeah ok :rolleyes:

I took the new GUI Sat night. "My Direvtv" is still showing the check back later message. How long does it take the feature to populate?
This new feature is slowest to fill up with actuate shows I would watch. I say a month before it become semi-useful.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts